• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple question: how to snap to lines, guides, intersections?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ma drawing some clipping masks, shapes in illustrator. There is some design already drawn. I want that new shape corners alight to other objects, guidelines, etc. If I draw them vaguely by an eye only, then when zooming im I see that object starts 21.00009 mm when it has to be 21mm and often a hair thin line from another object layed behind will be still seen when in print.

It would be helpful if my shapes would snap to other objects, guides, whatever same way as it is in InDesign.

how can I sconfigue Illustrator in this way, and how to control this behaviour???

I have used Visio befoe and had no problems whatsoever. On new job, we have Adobe packages, but I do not see Snap to Grid, Snap to Guides in the menu. 

Thanbk you

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so far it seen snapping but only when magnified at pixel level, otherwise not working, and automatic guides do not appear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in another corner of the shape snaping did not work, so control point and clipping mask vertex did not snapped to the page corner, I did not known this until magnified. Vertex did not want to snap to the intersection of the guideline and page no matter I try. everytime I magnify more I see it is missaligned.

What I am trying to accomplish is shown in another image, I want clipping mask for metal gray plate (jpg image) above portrait to be same shape and size as a table below. It is simplest task, which seem to be difficult in Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snap to grid or point is in the View menu.

Have you tried out Smart guides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

enable smart guides

view >> smart Guides

then grab by the point and drag it will snap based on snapping tolerance  set ehre

MikeGondek_0-1650568594354.png

Illustrator is very advanced in snapping, you can also snap to glyphs now. Here are where all your options are

MikeGondek_1-1650568795273.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines