Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Specify Dataset name from variable in CSV file

May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am working on a project that contains variable data. I have a CSV setup with 5 text variables and an image link. When I run the import into illustrator everything works as it should on the art board, however the i can't get the data set name listed in the variables window to reflect the name of the field in the CSV "dataset". I have tried this with a quick XML, and it works, however all the data going to our graphics department real time is in CSV. Does anyone know if I have to call out the dataset name in the CSV differently from CSV, or bind it somehow?

See images to show XML vs CSV import.Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not try to import your data with the VariableImporter script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any APIs in SDK to do the same? I have seen there are DataSet and Variable classes in DOM which fulfill the purpose. But could not find anything in SDK related to DataSet and Variable. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know about the realm of the SDK at this time, only ExtendScript, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem with Varible Importer is that you can't use spaces in variables. If you are working with anything that is multiple words it breaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the native feature does not have an option to name Datasets. The alternatives are the use XML or Variable Importer Script mentioned above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave the same answer to a similar title, but I think it might help.

Free Online Illustrator Variables XML editor and converter

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh that's a good one, I didn't know about it.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That site is one of three that I previously mentioned in my original blogpost on the Variable Importer script!

Prepression: Illustrator – Introducing the VariableImporter Script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines