• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split text into individual paragraphs or lines?

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for something like the DivideTextFrame script on wundes.com which unfortunately do not seem to work with the current version of Illustrator.

Basically, when grabbing content from a doc to bring into Illustrator, such as four paragraphs of text which I want to put into four columns in a web layout (for example), I don't want to go back and forth 4 times copying and pasting, I'd rather be able to paste the whole chunk of content, then easily break it into four disparate text boxes in Illustrator, separated by paragraph, line break, line, or any combo of the above.

I'm surprised at how much trouble I'm having trying to find a way to do this. I can't be the only one wanting this kind of feature. There has to be a script or extension out there that does this. Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

That script seems to work fine in 2017.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Also for me - the script is conforming all text to whatever formatting is applied to the first character in the text frame.

However, I found a way to split into separate lines which seems to work, assuming that you text opacity is set to 100%. If your text is using transparency, it will get lost in this method:

1. Select frame
  2. Main menu > Object > Flatten Tranparency...
  3. Hit OK
  4. Right-click on frame, choose Ungroup

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That script seems to work fine in 2017.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh, I messed with it some more and was able to get it to work. Seems I may have had the text selected in the wrong manner (with the cursor within the copy I think), as I did the same thing again, but escaping out and selecting just the frame the second time, it worked fine. Thanks! The join text frames script is also finicky but was able to get that to work with a bit more fitting as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great script that's gonna save me a lot of time! It works in CC 2021 too. I dit notice though that the top layer in our document should be visible and unlocked, even if you work in an other layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes dude! tried everything and the top layer was hidden and locked, fixed the issue, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work anymore....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does. Did you select the type object with the Selection Tool (rather than the type itself with the Type Tool)? Does the type contain paragraphs (returns)?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried it and you are right, it still works. My bad. Thks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. I'm glad it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still works Adobe 26.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works fine in 2022. But it loses formatting, keeping the one in the first paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with the formatting. Were you able to find a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The top layer in our document should be visible and unlocked, even if you work in an other layer"
Already answered by others above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also for me - the script is conforming all text to whatever formatting is applied to the first character in the text frame.

However, I found a way to split into separate lines which seems to work, assuming that you text opacity is set to 100%. If your text is using transparency, it will get lost in this method:

1. Select frame
  2. Main menu > Object > Flatten Tranparency...
  3. Hit OK
  4. Right-click on frame, choose Ungroup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines