• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop Illustrator from selecting masked areas

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using illustrator 2017 and it seems that they have changed the way the selection tool works with masked images. Previously, if you clicked on an area of an image hidden by a mask, Illustrator did not select the image. Now the selection tool seems to work as if there was no mask at all. Even though the image is hidden by it's own mask, clicking outside the mask(but still on the image) causes illustrator to select the image.

This is driving me insane. It makes selecting anything behind the mask impossible. Very frustrating. Does anyone know if there is a preference I can change so that Illustrator only selects the image when I click on the visible parts, as opposed the the masked parts. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try if restarting Illustrator, computer or resetting preferences helps.

It is not supposed to work that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I already tried that... didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you did not by accident checked the Edit Contents button?

edit contents.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I did not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am using the selection tool and hover over an area that is masked it appears with a little icon like the image below. Then when I click the I get the same options you have above but the edit content button is NOT selected. At that point the frame is active. The issue I'm having is that I have lots of layers in my documents. Because the tool now works this way it is impossible to select anything underneath a masked layer. I can't believe adobe would make a change like this. It makes doing any kind of layout almost impossible.

tool.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the Edit Content cursor.

Which system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest Version of OS X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still on Yosemite, it could make a difference, maybe others can confirm.

I would de-install Illustrator (after backing up custom things like brushes, patterns and so on).

An see if a fresh install helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rrswans,

That is a new in the 2017 version of Illustrator. It basically shows or denotes that the object you are hovering the mouse over is a masked object. It however should not cause issue with selecting object behind the masked one. I tried the same workflow and I am able to select object behind the masked one quite easily.

Please share your exact step by step process or share a video of the same so that we can understand it better.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish i could downvote your answer because fast forward in 2018 and Illustrator is still showing my masked object when i hover on an area that is masked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TacticJames  schrieb

I wish i could downvote your answer because fast forward in 2018 and Illustrator is still showing my masked object when i hover on an area that is masked out.

Please tell us step by step what exactly you are doing.

I can't reproduce that Illustrator selects the masked object.

Also: which version, which system?

What kind of mask exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this just happened to me on 2018 and high sierra. had never experience it before and it happened to 1 document. if i copied the clippled images from that document to another, the selection issue carried over, but only on the copied objects.

i can not replicate the behavior with other documents or new documents. i created new documents while i was having this issue and selection worked normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2019 this is still happening, masked contents are being selected... this is mother of annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clipping Mask or Opacity Mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clipping mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I ran into the same problem just now. But I found out it's due to my operation error. Just for you reference.

I didn't establish the mask correctly. Let's say I have the original image1. I did a clip first so it becomes image2, then did a mask image3 while the mask is larger than image2 . So when I hover on it, it would select the larger one, i.e. image3. Therefore, it's working as it should, i.e. selecting mask which is larger.

Also, after I did mask correctly, from the property panel, I could see edit the path or content correctly.

Not sure if you ran into similar problem. Hope it's helpful.

Mango

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same problem. version 27. In the last message, he mentioned the nested masking situation. Actually, I solved the situation that way before. Of course, how the mask automatically appears on an image I upload is another question mark. I checked if there was any grouping or mask in the inner image. I tried lots of variations. I even checked whether it affects whether it is embedded or not. However, interestingly, sometimes parts of the masked image outside the mask can be selected. I couldn't figure out why he did this. Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't. My purpose was to give a stroke or offset to the mask of a masked image using the Apparance menu. As I said, this doesn't always work and I couldn't understand why it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines