• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke scale not matching ruler/document scale.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encountered a bug I think:

I'm working on a large map (6'x4'), and the strokes for my state borders have decided to be about 5 times thicker than defined in the stroke dialogue, as you can see in the attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.07.08 AM.png

These vectors were copied in from another Illustrator file, and they're the only paths affected. New paths' strokes are scaled correctly.

The overthick stroke cannot be changed or the scale updated. Resetting the stroke to 0pt and back does nothing. Using the eyedropper to copy from a correct path does nothing. Restarting Illustrator or my computer does nothing. 

I'd rather not just redraw my whole map manually. Is there any way to force the scale on these paths to "reset" so it matches the document settings?

-Matt

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

There's a brush applied to it (5 point calligraphic). Delete the brush from the strokes (you need to select Basic from the menu) and then it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Is the stroke using the 5pt round brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Solved it, and the answer was in that screenshot. 
The stroke style is set to 5pt Round instead of Basic, which I usually work in, so the stroke width was being multiplied by 5. That stroke style was inherited from the file I copied from. Changing the style fixed it. Case closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a brush applied to it (5 point calligraphic). Delete the brush from the strokes (you need to select Basic from the menu) and then it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the stroke using the 5pt round brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved it, and the answer was in that screenshot. 
The stroke style is set to 5pt Round instead of Basic, which I usually work in, so the stroke width was being multiplied by 5. That stroke style was inherited from the file I copied from. Changing the style fixed it. Case closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines