• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.svg saving/exporting as .html files

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a few other users have this issue, but none of the solutions seem to be applicable. 

When I try to either save or export my Creative Cloud and .ai files to my harddrive and when I select .svg, it inevitably saves as .html.

As far as I can tell there should be only one layer in the images, they have been properly vectorized through Image Trace, etc. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! new to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG doesn't know any layers. It knows groups. 

After tracing an image there could be anything depending on the source image, but most probably it will be more than one path.

As for the files looking like HTML documents: that could be your system not recognizing the files properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been following the various guides and tutorials and help answers. There are many groups. 

any idea on how to make my system recognize the files, if that's the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think that it's not an SVG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as I'm new and self-taught I may be misunderstanding some things, however, there is no local file on my harddrive, the web icon, and how other ppl have phrased the same issue lead me to believe this.

Capture d’écran 2023-04-30 à 10.26.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using File > Export > Export As > Format: SVG (svg)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both Save As and Export, as per various instructions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, as we asked, what makes you think it's an HTML, not an SVG?

I think you may need to show a screen shot of what it is that leads you to this conclusion. There are a number of possible, different, things going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as I'm new and self-taught I may be misunderstanding some things, however, there is no local file on my harddrive, the web icon, and how other ppl have phrased the same issue lead me to believe this.

Capture d’écran 2023-04-30 à 10.26.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it looks like that's an SVG for sure. It's just that the icon is the same icon as you get for an HTML.  Believe the name. Don't expect to see a little version of the SVG picture (though maybe some systems show it). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that would be great, but I can't convert it to ttf with either a downloaded program like FontForge or an online converter. other descriptions of the same problem also thought it was an html thing. 
suggestions as to what the problem might be? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never done this, but some replies suggest it can happen  if the character design is not very simple. (A TTF has only shapes, not colour, not embedded JPEGs). In particular you can't just open/place a JPEG in Illustrator, export as SVG and make a font. If you aren't doing that ... .are you able to share one of your SVG files for someone here to give it a try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through the process of image trace, and the are certainly many trace
points on the rough edges, and sometimes the letters are made of more than
one group. I'm not on my computer rn but if sharing the file would help
happy to do so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@slp29654025c3zw  schrieb:
I went through the process of image trace, and the are certainly many trace
points on the rough edges, and sometimes the letters are made of more than
one group. I'm not on my computer rn but if sharing the file would help
happy to do so!

So you want to make a font from it? Using which app or service?

Please share the file, so we can take a look at it.

BTW: making a font is not quite for the non-tech-savvy. Particularly with autotraced images you will run into several issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't call myself a luddite, but this is my first time delving into something as possibly involved as font creation. I'm dedicated. I'll learn. 

from what I've read, between Adobe Illustrator and FontForge I should be able to create something—at least something simple. what I've traced might be rather complex. 

the svg files no longer have an html icon but they still aren't uploading or converting with any service or program I currently have access to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files open just perfectly in Inkscape.

But: the "b" has 6000 anchor points. You absolutely do not want to have that amount of anchor points in a glyph of a font. And since you cannot import them into FontForge also you probably can't. Simplify this to get that number way down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do an Open With on the file, don't double click.

Or select the file properties and change the default app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! It's all of a sudden.I feel like we are definitely dwonloading and sa ving correctly but don't have a program in Windows to open them! Again, all of a sudden. Same Pc..... same everything. Saves a HTML .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Zooey341904756mm1,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind checking the File Type for the exported file by enabling the option to show file extensions (Windows / macOS)? If it shows up as a ".SVG", then kindly try changing the file association for the SVG filetype (Windows / macOS) to Illustrator and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines