Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tablet + pen pressure + illustrator CS5 issue

Explorer ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I just installed Illustrator CS5 and I can't get the brushes to recognize pen pressure from my graphics tablet (intuos3).

I have tried all the combos of brushes, strokes, etc.  It looks like all the 6D options (bearing, tilt, pressure) are greyed out. Thus, the ap doesn't recognize when I am using my pen.

Oddly, the pen works great in Photoshop CS5.

I am working on Windows 7.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

_Todd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 11, 2011 Jan 11, 2011

Got it!

At least I think I got it working on my iMac running OSX 10.6.6.

I heard back from Greg, a Sr. Customer Care Technician@ Wacom and carefully followed his directions (I'm paraphrasing)..

• Go to APPS > Bamboo folder (may be Wacom on your machine) > Bamboo Utility
  • Click REMOVE button under the Tablet Software
  • Restart computer
  • Download and reinstall latest driver from Wacom
  • Restart computer
  • Go to Illustrator and get busy with the brushes

It may have worked earlier (see previous post), but I might not

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click on the brush you want to use to open up Brush Options, set the preference from Fixed Width to Pressure, and adjust the sliders to what works for you.

Hope this helps.

Intuos 3, OS X 10.5.8.

Edit: Oops, looks like you all knew that.

Message was edited by: Mowchek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem & it was driving me MAD, but fotunately I found a solution prior to postal.  FYI: Runnning Creative Suite 5 with Windows 7 , intel i5 @ 2.5 +/- GHz, 6GB RAM, gobs of storage.  Posted plea for help with Wacom, they'll take 3 days to get mack to me.  Speedy, what?  Checked drivers @ Wacom, found mine might be out of date.  This even though W7 said I had the latest driver.  Tried the new Wacom driver.  This brought the "Pressure" variable live in the blob brush properties menu, but even then I had trouble getting the brush to respond.  I found the brush unresponive until raised the variation variable to about the size of the brush. 

Also:  This forum is supposed to be moderated, and I haven't time or patience to wiggle through all of Adobe's little sign-ins, authentication, registration BS, but notice my "screen name"  It's about the 4th or 5th on I've had.  I've been an Adobe customer, registering each copy, and duly registeringon forums  since Photoshop at least Photoshop 5.1, and a photoshop user via employer licenses since 2.5 and early Pagemaker.  I have more names, monikers, etc. at my registration email than, to use an old phrase, Carter has liver pills.    It's because every time I go to sign in the security doesn't like my responses. 

It hasn't been a good day.  All I've done is battle this stinking problem.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!

I went to Wacom Tablet Preferences File Utility, then clicked "Remove" under All User Preferences.

Then I opened Wacom Tablet Properties and then clicked "Options" and unchecked the box next to "Pressure Combatibility" and low and behold all of the 6D functions were now available!

I hope this helps!

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geoff, nice work, and thanks for helping.  ( I don't remember if I ever solved this problem or just gave up and tweaked the brush strokes manually.  I haven't done a project lately that required it either, so I many never know.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Geoff

Your solution seem to be very reasonable and working, but unfortunatelly I cannot find my Tablet Preferences File Utility. Can you help me with this?

I recently got a Wacom Pen and Touch, and I'm also using windows 7 is thats any help.

Thanks very much in advance.

Etti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac, it's in the program folder in a subfolder called Wacom or Tablet or Wacom tablet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! it worked. Now...which guns should we use for the customer support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is very old post, but I just had the same problem. I had installed a new, Intous 5 tablet. I noticed some of my AI brushes did not have Pressure option, other were set to pressure, but if I swtiched to "Random" pressure became grayed out. Reinstalling the SAME driver version fixed the problem. Weird!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with Illustrator CS4, I suddenly can't get the pressure to work with the blob tool, using the Wacom. Funny, because I had it working in the same image file yesterday. Baffling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reinstalling the Wacom driver. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled the wacom, still can't get pressure to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You choose your brush in the brush window

Double click on it

choose the thing you want your pen pressure to have effect on (in my example; diameter)

And put a variation number (from your setted diameter, how smaller it can get)

Here's a screenshot

brush-pressure.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressure worked fine in CS4 until I upgraded to Mountain Lion - 10.8.2. Now those options are greyed out. I've tried many of the suggestions above to no avail. The 6D brushes work fine though. I guess that will have to do for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mountain Lion has munged all sorts of stuff, including my pressure options in Illustrator. But tonight I came across a suggestion to install an *old* driver for the Intuos 5. I went for the 6.1.7-5, listed as for OS X 10.4-10.6 Intel. I figured that qualified as "old." Hey, I was desperate.

And, to my amazement, it worked, and restored the pressure features in Photoshop and Illustrator. But I realized later that it didn't support the Touch features of the Intuos 5 Touch. I didn't miss the feature, because I don't care for trackpads. But you might love it.

So, to restore your pressure options and keep the Touch, try the WacomTablet_6.3.1w2 driver instead.

It's stuff like this that shoots an evening that was supposed to be devoted to production. Grrr. Arghh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2015 Apr 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have much to add, except I'm having very similar issues with similar results. I Have a Monoprice 10 x 6.25 inch tablet. The drivers seemed pretty old. I have not used it before the latest release of OS X and Illustrator (2014 1.1), so, I don't have a basis of comparison.

For me, it also works well in photoshop.

I noticed the drivers were ancient for the tablet, so decided not to monkey with installing them again.

I have had luck with the built-in waccom brushes. It's brute force, and hacky, but I can get pressure settings, and they seem to work fine. I will just modify copies of these brushes to work until the powers that be fix stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe in words, because actually in this video you can't decipher anything on that screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2015 Aug 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Video Should help everyone out or I hope it will      Adobe Illustrator tutorial - Configure pressure sensitive brushes - YouTube It's very simple and straight forward it only took me a couple minutes to figure out how to do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try toggling Mode?

...You may have been using the pen in 'Mouse Mode' which ignores pressure input.

The button to toggle Mode can be set in the Wacom Control Panel, but may, by default, be a button on the pen itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED.

I got my Monoprice tablet ( 10x6.25) to work perfectly with the tablet settings of illustrator brushes (pressure, tilt, bearing, etc) on my Mac. 

Following the suggestion of this article from frenden.com, ​I installed the Wacom Intuos driver alongside the current driver* I use for my Monoprice tablet. In this context, the wacom driver doesn't do anything other than "trick uncooperative apps into operating with the Monoprice." Once this driver installed, I could access the pen pressure settings to create custom illustrator brushes.

* I have been using the driver of the Huion H610PRO tablet, which is compatible with the Monoprice one (same tablet hardware, better driver software). I strongly suggest any Monoprice users to check it out.

I hope this helps out fellow Monoprice tablet users

Happy drawing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same issue. it wa snot detecting the pressure options in illustrator but it did in PS.
just close and restart illustrator. it worked for me after a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the brushes window, go to options on the top rigth corner...
Captura de pantalla 2016-07-05 a las 11.05.02 a.m..png

go to brush library... ""Artistic_Calligraphic!!

Captura de pantalla 2016-07-05 a las 11.04.46 a.m..png

when you use some of the presets brush, you will added it in your normal brushes windows, THERE you can edith, NOT in the preset, JUST in normal...

Captura de pantalla 2016-07-05 a las 11.06.05 a.m..png

and join!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't choose "pressure" to... only fixed and random

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hypezh48309337 schrieb:

I can't choose "pressure" to... only fixed and random

And none of the 42 posts in this thread fixes your problem?

Do you even have a Wacom? Or a different tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines