• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Technique to close in the negative space in an image trace result

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this question has been answered and likely in the documentation; but I guess I don't know the proper terms to use in describing my question.

I used Image Trace on an isolated photo of a white helmet on a transparent background. I placed the image on an artboard in Adobe and then applied a 9 color image trace.

The bright part of the helmet extended to teh edge of the helmet in the original and then the background was transparent.

Image Trace seems to have equated the bright area to be equal to white and since there was no surrounding darker shade or color created an unclosed area that has no fill.  This is the area I am calling the "Negative Space".

The negative space is rather large within the helmet (because it is a white helmet) and when the rendered image trace SVG is placed on a dark background, the negative space is void and therefore teh background color shows through the helmet.

Newbie me tried to join to anchor points but received an error. I added an object to block the opening but that didn't close the Negative Space.

Any suggestions for a newbie?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show it?

After expanding you might be able to fill in the area with the live paint tool. But that depends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I just attached a screenshot of the resulting vector image on a blue background.

I will look up the Live Paint feature. Maybe that will work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work. Make sure you turn on Gap detection in the menu: Object > Live Paint > Gap detection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a layer of white to quickly throw white into the void so I could show the desired result. Thought this gives the result, It seems the resulting file may be prone to behave badly if the technique is a cludge. I'd prefer to have a clean file in the end.  😉

Open Negative Area - Desired result .png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

What happens if you untick Ignore White in the Live Trace settings, then try to trace again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob. I still get an unclosed shape when the "Ignore White" setting is turned on (checked) and therefore no fill for that space. Here is the result:

Open Negative Area fills w Background.png

I'm going to try the Overlapping setting to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It pains me deeply to even contemplate this much less mention it but when it comes to image trace—Inkscape beats the pants off of Illustrator and leaves it eating it's dust. For instance, it cleans the image up with amazing accuracy removing ninety percent artifacts, it simplifies large areas of same color segments into layers in stacking order and it does all this with one tenth the adjustment controls.

I'm positively certain that it comes from the algorithm they use in their trace code. Come on Adobe, you've created the best software this side of the universe but bringing out a new feature revolutionary though it may be doesn't mean ignoring the old features we artists use day in and day out. You have to go back and re-read the mega lines of code and tweak and implement new ideas that streamline and update those tools. You just have too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cactus+Cowboy  schrieb

It pains me deeply to even contemplate this much less mention it but when it comes to image trace—Inkscape beats the pants off of Illustrator and leaves it eating it's dust. For instance, it cleans the image up with amazing accuracy removing ninety percent artifacts, it simplifies large areas of same color segments into layers in stacking order and it does all this with one tenth the adjustment controls.

I'm positively certain that it comes from the algorithm they use in their trace code. Come on Adobe, you've created the best software this side of the universe but bringing out a new feature revolutionary though it may be doesn't mean ignoring the old features we artists use day in and day out. You have to go back and re-read the mega lines of code and tweak and implement new ideas that streamline and update those tools. You just have too!

Can you show examples of that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

The original photo was undoubtedly turned into a PNG (PNG24) in Photoshop (or similar), and whoever deleted the outside world overdid it, undoubtedly with the Magic Wand Tool at a Tolerance too high; it would be very obvious on the transparency background before saving.

The right solution would be a recreation of the PNG with the right settings to recreate the fine colour variations (up to the the Tolerance used in the first attempt).

If you wish, or must, settle for a flat white, you may try to increase the Gap detection setting as suggested by Monika and live with the simplified outer shape (remember to see whether that leads to other changes that are unwanted), or you may simply add a short path corresponding to the exact desired shape at the gap, then use Live Paint to mend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow-up Jacob.

The image used as the Image Trace base was actually a PSD. In that original image, the edge of the helmet is fully intact as is the white in the void. So I've ruled out the notion that it was a "preexisting condition".

And the Gap tools do not recognize the opening as a gap...I think because all of the shapes surrounding the negative space (void) are closed objects. So the gap analyzer sees no gap. Or at least there is no open path related to this image trace.

But I'm betting that threshold setting is likely a contributor, so I'll tease that thread a bit.

I'll post any positive outcomes.

BTW, the Live Paint helped with an immediate fix and the steps to expand the live paint group seems to offer promise in yielding a clean final file. That is a great "patch" tool for this project. I hope to find a native technique to help remove the need for the patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

If you click View>Show Transparency Grid (or just Grid) in AI, then place the image, is the white then white or transparent (or what is it in PS)?

In the latter case, it is overdone as guessed; in the former case, that (bitten) bit of the ice must be solid white like the background; unless it is somehow overlaid with pure white in an intricate way unknown to me.

In either case, I am afraid you will have to use the patch. Illy is always eager to help but she has no way to discern between the white/transparent that should belong to the hard helmet and to the soft surroundings: only you can decide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob.

It is the case that the white is there in the image and so the image trace cannot discern the white in the helmet from background white. So I guess I'm stuck with Manual intervention!

Thanks agin for all the help and interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Chris, and thank you for sharing your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines