• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Boxes - following the angle of the box, not the horizontal?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am new to Illustrator - and need some help.

I am making a Year Book, and I want the text boxes to sit at different angles. At the moment I can rotate the angle of the text box, but the text remains perfectly horizontal. I would like the text to follow the angle of the box.

How do I do this?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Suzie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Make your text box by dragging with the text tool. The way you're doing it now, you're telling Illustrator you want horizontal text to conform to the selected shape, which happens to be a rectangle. If you then turn that shape into a diagonally slanted rectangle, the horizontal text will obediently conform to a diagonally slanted rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suzanne,

Are you using the Area Type Tool so the text adapts to/fits within the box, or just the Type Tool with a separate box round it? In the former case, everything should rotate together, in the latter case you can Group text and box (select both and Ctrl/Cmd+G).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, I make a box, and then use the Area Type Tool which drops latin text into my box. Then I select all, but when I rotate it using the selection arrow it still keeps the text horizontal, while the box changes angle. Clearly I am not doing something right!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suzanne,

You should do what Kurt says, always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your text box by dragging with the text tool. The way you're doing it now, you're telling Illustrator you want horizontal text to conform to the selected shape, which happens to be a rectangle. If you then turn that shape into a diagonally slanted rectangle, the horizontal text will obediently conform to a diagonally slanted rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue! I drag a box with the Type tool, type my text over the Lorem Upsum that auto fills it. Then I try to turn the box with the curved arrow that appears when i move the curser (using the Select tool) The box obligingly tilts and the text disappears in an attempt to stay horizontal. I'm in CC2021 Am I supposed to change a setting somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to rotate with the genuine Rotate tool or the Free Transform tool. Or use the Transform palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK that does work. 

Any reason why it should now take several tools and clicks what used to take one tool and one click and drag?

Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK that does work. 

Any reason why it should now take several tools and clicks what used to take one tool and one click and drag?

Really?

By @Caroline5CD7

It has always worked that way since at least CS2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's one of the differences between Area Type and Point Type.

Area Type is presumed to be paragraphical and flowable, so basic transform of the frame reshapes the paragraph while keeping the type horizontal. The dedicated transform tools are needed otherwise.

Point Type would behave the way you want, or expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines