Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't move text by clicking on anchor point

cc 2019, mac os 10.13.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can no longer move text by clicking and dragging on its anchor point in Adobe Illustrator 2019.

Not sure why they would take this ability away, because advanced users select  text "...by path only"!!!!

I guess they want us to use the selection tool (black arrow), instead of the direct selection tool (white arrow), because you ARE able to select text by its anchor point using the black arrow tool.

Yah... thanks... I did find that if you want to continue selecting text by the anchor point using the white arrow, all you have to do is hold down the option key (which makes the white arrow act like the black arrow). Just have to retrain your brain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seem's like bug

because if text object not selected, then you can move text with white arrow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but Adobe doesn't care what we think... It's sort of like Apple, both companies think they know better. And they do, when it comes to bringing new people to the platform or program, it's just that these decisions tend to upset the established users. I've been using Adobe Illustrator since it was called Illustrator 88 (back in 1988)... I've seen this happen over and over.

You can still move text from the anchor line, doesn't matter if it is selected or not. For some reason they no longer want to allow us to select text from an anchor point with the white arrow... good luck figuring out their logic to that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you talk us through what's not working in detail, step by step? I can't reproduce this from the information here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

step 1.

type something with Type Tool (T)

do not make type area, just click in field

step 2.

select this text with direct selection tool (A)

step 3.

try to move this text by click and hold on anchor point with direct selection tool (A)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see. I agree this seems like a bug, since I also tested it in CC2018 and it works fine.

Report it here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then voting on it is all we can do for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open illustrator.

Type some text.

Choose the direct selection tool.

Try and move that text by selecting it from its anchor point. You can no longer do this. We used to be able to do it in CC 2018.

When some advanced users create an illustrator file it is crammed full of objects and pieces of text (imagine creating a paper map with roads and street names, or a figure for a research paper or book). In order to maintain our sanity we need to turn on object selection by path only in the settings (which allows us fine grain selection) and then we also move our text around by clicking on it's anchor with the direct selection tool. This allows us to align text to objects by its anchor point. For instance, I can drag a piece of left aligned text over above a rectangle and have it align to the left side of that rectangle - if I am dragging it by its anchor point.

In the past this was the only way to make this happen, the smart guides would only align items when you selected the text by the anchor point, therefore we trained our brains to do it this way, now the smart guides will show up and tell you items are aligned when you are not dragging text by its anchor point - except in our brains we continue to want to sect the text by it's anchor point.

I never use the selection tool, always use the direct selection tool, because you can have the selection tool come up simply by holding down the option key. This allows me to have all of the available functionality without switching between the two tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had any luck with this yet? Posted in the other forum also, but no one seems to have a fix. What do we get for our licencing fee's Adobe? If you're going to releace broken products we may as well go back to the CS days and not bother with you annual pointless, expensive, updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can the selection of text by anchor be fixed on a priority basis, (I cannot amend a type or select it with an anchor point)? It is the most basic thing you expext when playing with type in Illustrator. I am sorry to say but this is really annoying. I respect Adobe products for all the great things they bring to the table, but this minor but quite disrupting issue is really getting on my nerves. 

I kindly request you to fix this as soon as possible. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Manasi 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether it was fixed in the past I don't know, but it seems to exist in version 26.2:

1. Turn on 'Type Object Selection by Path Only' in preferences
2. Create a Point Type object
3. With the direct selection tool, try to drag the type object by its anchor point.

Is this the case for you? Vote and comment in the issue:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/35754040-direct-selecti...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to reply to my request.
I had the 1st step done already.
(1. Turn on 'Type Object Selection by Path Only' in preferences)

My issue is, why do we need a *direction selection tool *to move the *Point
Type object*, which was earlier possible by *Selection tool. *

My other issue is that the text in the *Point Type tool* cannot be changed
by using the *Selection tool, *when I drag the selection tool over the text.

If this is resolved I will be very grateful. 🙂

Thanks.

Regards,
Manasi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not providing a solution (the only solution is that the bug is fixed in the future), but providing steps to isolate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have one additional inquiries if it’s not too much trouble 😓😓, guide me about this. These inquiries are displayed underneath here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-acrobat-online-discussions/combine-pdf-limit-in-pdf-pack/td-p/8...

Sitting tight for most appropriate response straightaway. I’m excessively confounded here 😨😨.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines