• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on path/curve is disappearing after reopening the file in Illustrator v27.7

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bug/issue on curviligne Text / text on path or curve.

After designing and saving the Illustrator file, everything seems normal.

Once I reopen the Illustrator file, then the text that has been placed on a curve (Type on a Path) disappears.

This has happened in different working files of mine.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Anubhav,

I was actually given the go ahead to get the latest version (28.6) installed on my workstation today, and to my surprise, my quick initial test was successful. Hoping others are able to do the same, I will be back to report my experience after a more thorough test drive... Thanks, so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Hello everyone,

Our team has tried addressing this problem in Illustrator 28.6. Would you mind updating to the latest version of Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/4dhoeiu) and sharing your observations?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 111 Replies 111
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey everyone, I have some latest news.. would be great if someone could confirm.
I was just trying to boot AI24 by resetting the preferences (open AI while holding command, option, shift). after doing so, the bug dissapeared. I was creating a new circle, added a path text, saved. all good, made some change in the file, resaved, all good. did this a couple of times, all good. Restarted AI, the bug returned.

Please remember you delete you preferences by doing above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and some more hot sh**

I ahve just unsinstalled AI24 via the creative clod app (including preferenses), then deleted the remaining AI24 folder from the applications folder, reinstalled AI24 (do not copy the preferecnes from previous AI installations). 
tadaaaa - the bug disappeared. 
We also use some 3rd party plugins. will install them next and check again. keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DominicLampert  schrieb:

We also use some 3rd party plugins. will install them next and check again. keep you posted.

Can you please list which ones you have - then others can check as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok again news.. seems that plugins cause the issue @Monika Gause do you use plugins from esko?
if yes I think I found the reason. see screenshot below - deactivate the "Update XMP on Document Save" option

can someone else check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ESKO so I can try the steps you listed and see what happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gloriacatherine it will work - I'm 100% sure. I have now tested with multiple different artworks. When the option is one - the text on path disapears with every second save action (followed by reopening the file).
XMP option turned off - there is no issue with the text anymore.

I'm just collection all details and will brief ESKO about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the bug report there is a method to replicate the problem. No additional plug-ins installed.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/46897540

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not using ESKO and still experiencing the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

give it a try uninstall AI24 icluding prefs (delete the applicatopn folder) and reinstall AI24 without keeping the pref from old versions.

This clean install was also wroking fine for me. The bug disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should get an award. 

I don't have credential privelges to re-install programs and such - I will have to contact our IT department to do the full process but I did just do the reset preferences + uninstall/reinstall Illustrator 2024 / 28.5 via Creative Cloud and I think its working.. going to try on another person's computer to triple check. 

But I do know our non-ESKO users also experience the issue.. so there's that. It could be that the file originally was handled by an ESKO user so it could of been "infected". Not sure.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's great to hear. I'm really looking forward if someone not using the plugins could check the issue again after reset of prefs.

btw - donates can be send to my paypal account 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just waiting for someone to get back from lunch break and I'll be checking with them! I had another ESKO user simply uncheck that box and it worked for her, and even when she rechecked it continued to work correctly... almost as if it just needed a little reset. Thank you!!

We can send you Jelly Belly Jelly Beans 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey @gloriacatherine be careful - please double-check with multiple save actions after you have reactivated the XMP option. I had the same issue - the first save was always ok - bot reopening the file and saving it again ended with the disappeared text. only permamanet solution was a permanant deactivation of the XMP option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah you're correct – it happened on a PDF so keeping it unchecked. Thanks.

Also – opened the files on a non-ESKO user's machine and it worked, it just showed this pop-up (see attached) while opening.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - that's because of the structual design which is placed in the file (technical drawing of the packaging). So all fine and no related to the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure, just sharing so you have extra evidence when you make a big stink to the ESKO people 🙂 

If this is a permanent fix moving forward, our team is going to be so overjoyed. This has been such a huge headache! Can't thank you enough @DominicLampert!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DominicLampert I use ESKO studio plugins, so have unticked the XMP setting and will see how things go. If this is the solution then really well done and thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, I was so happy yetserday, but now again I can get crazy. @Paul Cartwright Branding @gloriacatherine as you are working with ESKO plugins. The issue seems gone (looking only to the Illustrator file) but be aware that when you export a ESKO PDF (nromalized or PDF+) - the issue remains. I have not yet a solution for this. The only way the text on path is kept also in case of exporting a ESKO PDF is:
- select all

- move it left

- move it right

- export esko PDF

If you find a way to fix this - please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok updates - In the meanwhile I'm prety sure it is not an ESKO or Plugin topic... (it seems to be right in the AI file visually) but there is 
as soon as you export something and then change into line view, the text dissapears. also depending when you export, the exported file dies not contain the text.

I think there is some interpretation issue of text on path objects while opening the document. they look fine, but in real they are not. and this only get sorted when there is an interaction with the object.  @Anshul_Saini now the ball is again on your field. We need to get this sorted asap. My decision is now made - I'll stop using AI24 and go back to AI22. Thank you Adobe, since a year people are reporting...
Please contact me via PM - as said, what ever is needed, we will support on solving this asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree that this issue goes beyond plugin usage.

Native visual errors existed first and I'm sure plugins may have similar issues because of this. 
It is very unfortunate that this post and issue remains to get traction to this day, with this week alone generating 10 or more users trying to help each other out.

Thanks for all of your efforts in trying to fix the issue and working with others. Illustrator was once my go to app. I don't want to leave it behind or revert to a previous version after using the product for almost 30 years.

No boasting here, it's an observation that the continued maintenance of Adobe's core softwares are being neglected. 
All here have tried to provide suggestions, help and communication to Adobe. 
It would seem that what once was a very basic feature of Illustrator is almost deprecated at this point.

Thanks again all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone at Adobe please acknowledge the video proof of the issue and the bugged files that multiple people have uploaded already, lol? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the delayed response. My team and I have tried replicating the issue on our end, but we haven't been able to reproduce it. Gloria has shared her contact details with me for a debug session, and I am working to arrange an engineer for this session. It would be extremely helpful if anyone else could participate in a debug session to help us replicate the issue.

I am particularly interested in hearing from those who are not using the Esko plugin but are still experiencing the issue. Your participation in a debug session would be invaluable.

Additionally, I consulted with the product team, and they have made some performance enhancements for the Type on Path tool. Could you please check the Illustrator Beta build 28.7 or Prerelease build 28.6? Try creating a new file in these builds, and let us know if you are still encountering the issue.
Please note that these performance enhancements will not apply to old files, so it is crucial to test with new files in the latest builds.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Anshul_Saini  it is easy to replicate in the 28.5 version, but fortunately not in the recent beta or prerelease version.

For the steps in 28.5 see:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/46897540

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed - I was not yet testing by myself but this is the feedback I got from esko yetserday:

Esko escalated this problem to Adobe in January, but it was not fixed in the April update (28.5). Adobe is now targeting the July update (28.6) for the fix. Upon checking Adobe Illustrator 28.6.0.558 Beta and Adobe Illustrator 28.6.0.565 Prerelease, it appears that the issue has been resolved in these versions.

However, Illustrator 28.6 has not been officially rolled out yet. You can expect it to be released later this July.

So, looks promising to get this finally resolved in the next release..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this information and update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines