Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The file ".ai" is in an unknown format and cannot be opened

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm having this issue when I try to open recent files from Illustrator or Acrobat.

See image:

Captura de ecrã 2017-08-21, às 09.34.45.png

I have a MAC OX El Capitain 10.11.6.

Can you help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Hey all,

I know I'm late to this, but it may be helpful for future problems, on a Mac at least. In Finder, go to the corrupted file, right click, "Get Info", remove the .ai file type from the name, MacOS will prompt with something like "Are you sure that you want to remove the file extension?", click yes. Then add the .ai back, you'll get another dialogue warning about changing the extension, click yes, and it should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator?

Are you working on the file on just this machine?

Where do you save your files?

What's in the file?

Is it an older file?

When did you last restart that computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monika

Which version of Illustrator? Adobe Illustrator CC 2017

Are you working on the file on just this machine? We can work the files on other computers equal to mine

Where do you save your files? They are saved in a QNAP

What's in the file? Vector/images/fonts

Is it an older file? Recent one

When did you last restart that computer? Today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try if one of the other computers can still open the file.

But the network drive most probably causes the issue

There is a known issue with Illustrator and saving to/opening from networked drives.

Illustrator support for networks and removable media

For some people it works, for others it doesn't.

Also: it might work for some people, but not for others in the same building.

A more reliable workflow would be to first copy the file from the server, then edit it and save to your harddisk, then upload to the server again.

If no other computer can still open the file, try and work from an older backup.

Also: try and create a new Illustrator file and place this AI file in it. But since you also can't open it in Acrobat, there's little chance this will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a corrupted file to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a corrupted file to me.

Well, yes.

But before I give up all hope, I'd like to have those questions answered. If only to prevent this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, sounds like you have a corrupt file on your hands.

Try placing it in ID.

Export as an EPS and open in Ai.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/master+mo  schrieb

Try placing it in ID.

Placing it in InDesign is the same as placing it in Illustrator (only more complicated).

If placing in Illustrator doesn't work, placing in ID won't either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning all

Nothing really worked. We tryed everything, and nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about filesize is it more than 0 KB?

There are services and applications that claim to be able to recover files. Don't know if it works, but you might want to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I know I'm late to this, but it may be helpful for future problems, on a Mac at least. In Finder, go to the corrupted file, right click, "Get Info", remove the .ai file type from the name, MacOS will prompt with something like "Are you sure that you want to remove the file extension?", click yes. Then add the .ai back, you'll get another dialogue warning about changing the extension, click yes, and it should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what a life saver!!! thank you so so so much for this because it worked amazingly! i wish you gonna have a great day cuz you made mine james!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an ai file from 2019 that would not open, it said "unkown format and cannot be opened. I opened it in PS 2019, closed it and I was able to open it in AI!!! I did not test to see if I opened it in PS 2021 if it would open in AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you need help with that message?

Which version, which system?

Where is the file stored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Md. Afjal25369250sg1d,

Sorry to see the trouble you are facing. It seems the file is corrupted or not stored locally on your machine. Would you mind sharing a few more details along with the ones asked by Monika:

• What happens when you try to open the file in Adobe Acrobat? Do you get an error?
  • What is the size of the file you are trying to open?

Would you mind sharing the file with us? We'll check at our end.

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having same Issue in Photoshop and Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was trying to open it directly from my Synced G-Drive folder, I download the file and opened w/o problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @wtmdotco,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the information. This generally happens because online drive files are not stored on the system. These files are just an imprint, a shortcut of the original file. After downloading or saving it locally, Illustrator will be able to open it without any issues.

Also, sometimes this can happen due to corrupted files. I would suggest keeping a backup of the files in a couple of places at least to avoid any inconveniences in the future.

I hope it clarifies!

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines