• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [!now]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to illustrator and am trying to export a png but illustrator keeps coming back with this error.

The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [!now]

What could be the cause? I have tried different solutions I have seen for other problems such as deleting hidden layers but nothing seems to be working.

I am running illustrator CC on a windows 10 computer. (Not sure if that helps.)

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

As already stated in that other thread:

Where do you save the file?

Which system, which version?

How large is the file?

How large will the exported file be? Does it work when you export a smaller file (pixel dimensions, lower resolution)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, and I don't have an answer as to why this is happening, BUT - this kept happening to me, too, and the workaround I used was to save out the illustrator file as a print-quality PDF, and then open that in Photoshop and save as a PNG. 

I hope this helps anyone else having this issue, because Adobe seems to be no help whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Just updated my graphic card driver and problem solved, 

you should try it too, can't export PNG will annoy us forever.

Using Illustrator on Win 10, nvidia card.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

It's July 2023 and I just got the ...[now!] error. After futzing for quite a while I figured that in my case the issue was caused by patterns used as a fill in a complex compound path. Expanding all the patterns solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am fairly experienced in Adobe CC and have worked with Illustraotr everyday for the last 4 years. I recently strated a map of Wilmington NC that measures 60"x48".  I had to start over becuase I needed to zoom the map in more.  Upon starting over the file size nearly quadrupled from the prior iteration (this shouldnt have been the case, because by zooming into the map, the number of labels and paths was cut in half. Since attempting to export this new iteration I have been unable and receive the following error message each time: "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [!now]".

Originally I had both iterations of this file saved on an external drive connected to my Desktop PC running Windows 10

The (oversized) file came in around 1.78 GB, but by removing the basemap imagery and linking that image I got the file size down to 870 MB.  The Final export would measure 5'x4' (60"x48").

I did manage to remedy my issue however by doing a Save As onto my desktop (included linked images) and exported the new file.  This did not result in an error message.  I wonder if my exported image's file path was too many characters in length...that is te only time I've had such out-of-nowhere export errors. FYI the file path of the file that would not export is: D:\HUCKS MAP STUDIOS\200331_Wilmington NC_Residential Map Poster_Brooks\Exports\60x48 v2.0 (Zoom)\Wilmington NC - Downtown Residential (60x48)-ZOOM v2.0 - Renderings\200401_Wilmington NC - Downtown Residential (60x48)-ZOOM v2.2 - Map Rendering [Converted].ai

Would love to hear anyone's insight.into why the error might have occured.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To test my theory about file path length, I re-saved the file from my Desktop back onto my external drive but into a subfolder that wasn't nested within 3 additional subfolders.  When I went to export this file, it exported successfully.

Thus, THIS PROBLEM IS SOLVED for my particular issue, and I'd recommend that anyone who has not had this issue resolved try a similar process for shortening the file path of the export image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. It was the easiest solution which worked with me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. (Cant)"

The problem is caused by some files in the directories.

"c: \ Program Files \ Common Files \ Adobe \ UXP \"

In Windows 10 (X64)

Rename to "c: \ Program Files \ Common Files \ Adobe \ 00UXP \"

(In this way they are not erased and you can return to them, for if other programs fail)

It contains the routines for the start screen and new documents of the different Abobe programs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-home-screen-issues.html

luck!!! 😉 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this is solved? its such a pain in the ass for having this issue. I have the same problem and still cant figure it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I had the same problem as this one, and the problem I experienced was that the canvas resolution was too big.
At that time I wrongly set the canvas size which was originally 1920 cm x 1080 cm, then a warning symbol appeared next to the "create" button (this symbol appears, because the canvas size is too large so some functions will be interrupted later). After I changed the unit to pixels the software worked as usual moment.

I hope this helps 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some experimentation, Adobe chat support encouraged me to avoid creating a text box the size of the artboard. Instead, I should use a text box the same size as the text. The dimensions of the art were large, at 7632x6480px. The art was simple - just the word 'Test' in a large font size. On the exact same art/file, the error occurred when saving to .png at 300PPI but it did not occur at 72PPI.

In sum, the two solutions were:
1. Keep text in a small text box. OR
2. Keep the resolution to 72PPI.

I asked support to pass these findings to devs for consideration as it was possibly poor UX for it to be this fussy, and also to pass on that the error provides insufficient information. They refused, saying the app is fine and these two workarounds had been provided. 

Win10 64-bit, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32GB RAM, SSD scratch disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i came along this thread as i was having the same issue myself.

I had this particular error whilst trying to export a 5000px vector into .png.

The fix i found was rasterizing the image first before exporting and no error message.

Hope this helps others.

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the file isnt too big. I shrunk mine and it exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated my graphic card driver and problem solved, 

you should try it too, can't export PNG will annoy us forever.

Using Illustrator on Win 10, nvidia card.

-
www.instagram.com/leoleoleoleoleoleoleoleomak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to this thread, I tried a simple solution:  saving the .png file to a different location, with a short file name -- this works !  suggesting that there may be a simple common problems with a very long file name which AI doesn't like.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's July 2023 and I just got the ...[now!] error. After futzing for quite a while I figured that in my case the issue was caused by patterns used as a fill in a complex compound path. Expanding all the patterns solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in my case. Still poping up every action I do. Adobe needs to fix this ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IDK if you've found the solution for yourself, but for me it's because I was trying to export PNG in CMYK. I had forgotten I was in CMYK so I switched to RGB and it worked fine. In Ps, ONG isn't even available to export in CMYK. Ai should do the same. But after reading through responses, it seems this error is due to an array of issues. It would also be helpful for Ai to designate specific errors for specific causes in the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines