• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble re-saving illustrator files with embedded images: "An unknown error is detected"

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never posted before; this issue began about 2 weeks ago.  I am having trouble re-saving existing Illustrator files after they've been edited (meaning progression of work was made in the file after the original work was saved and closed), AND/OR saving an existing file as a new file name (such as re-saving the original file to be called "[OriginalFileName]_revised").  In these cases, the file will not save, and a pop-up box with red warning reads: "An unknown error is detected" with steps to contact Adobe.  It does not crash; it just will not save.

I suspect this is happening when an embedded image (such as a photo or clipart) is involved, because I can remove the design element containing the embedded image from the AI file and then be able to save as an AI file.  Sometimes I can re-embed the same image and be able to save, or sometimes I have to make a new jpg of that image and embed the new one, and then be able to save.

Here are things I have done/tried already and additional notes that might be pertinent:

• The file may have multiple embedded images, but it is only ONE that causes the issue (I have done trials removing one embedded image at a time and saving until I find the offending culprit).  But sometimes upon editing that same saved file, a different image will be the offender when I try to save future versions.  That offending image in file 1 might be simultaneously used in other files without having saving issues.  Basically, I don't think it is an issue with the image.
  • I am able to save the file with the original embedded image as an eps, BUT I cannot then save that eps file as an ai after that (same error message occurs when trying to save eps to ai).
  • Sometimes, I can re-save the same file several times before the saving issue occurs.  I also have some files with embedded images that are not experiencing save issues at all (at least, yet).
  • Yes, I have turned off background save.  Yes, I have upgraded to the most recent version of AI.
  • Yes, the images are embedded and not linked.
  • Yes, we have scanned my computer for viruses, upgraded my graphics card, restarted illustrator, restarted my computer, I have screamed and shouted and begged, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Any thoughts or suggestions about what could be causing this and how to fix it?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've written a lot, but left out the most important parts: Actual info about the computer and the embedded files like their specs and storage locations as well as the same for the AI files you're working on. If it worked before, then something has changed and it must not necessarily be AI.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Mylenium.

I'm running AI v26.5.

System is Lenovo Ideapad 720S with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Windows 10 Pro.

All AI and jpeg files are local to my computer, either on the desktop or a client's subfolder on the C: drive.

Embedded jpegs range in size from small (~100KB) up to 4MB max.

There have been no known significant changes to my computer or software since before the issue began occuring.

Any other details needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving AI files with "PDF compatible" turned on or off? Does it make a difference?

Is any other application open when you save the files? Does it make a difference when you close everything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika!  I tried this and it worked in some instances, but not others.  There really seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the saving issues (including whether or not other apps were open at the time of saving).  Additional saving and exporting issues were cropping up (I could save as eps but not as pdf; I could not consistently export any file type; I could not consistently print as pdf; etc.).  I finally decided to just reinstall Illustrator and start over.  I haven't used it enough yet/saved enough files to know whether or not this has solved the issue, but I know at least one previously affected file is now saveable.  Fingers crossed.  Thanks to you and Mylenium for your willingness to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you actualyl considered doing some housekeeping by ways of the Windows system cleanup utility? These could simply be performance issues. If you store everything on the C: drive and the associated user documents and system folders, you could have so much clutter there from old temp files, failed saves and so on that the system may simply struggle. It would also perhaps be useful if you watched disk usage in the task manager/ resource monitor and see if there is a specific pattern like other processes outside of Illustrator excessively consuming performance and bringing down file I/O performance which in turn could affect your saves.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines