Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

turn off default auto hyphenation in illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

Is there a way to turn off the default auto hyphen everytime i start a new document?

I hate having to click the little check mark off every time.

i rarely use Hyphenation

thanks

Drew

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Yes; you need to edit the [Normal Paragraph Style] in the document profile(s) you commonly use. Or indeed in all of them.

Document profiles are stored here on Windows 10:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings\en_LANGUAGE\x64\New Document Profiles

Open the ones you use. Open the Paragraph Style panel. Double-click on [Normal Paragraph Style] and turn off hyphenation. Save and overwrite the AI file in the same location.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

I too had this problem. In the paragraph styles, I could enable hyphenation (checkmark), or leave it neutral (dashed, with the effect of enabling hyphenation), but I was not allowed to turn OFF hyphenation (blank checkbox). But turning off hyphenation (via the Paragraph controls) for an example of the style then redefining the style worked! Thank you for posting a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes; you need to edit the [Normal Paragraph Style] in the document profile(s) you commonly use. Or indeed in all of them.

Document profiles are stored here on Windows 10:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings\en_LANGUAGE\x64\New Document Profiles

Open the ones you use. Open the Paragraph Style panel. Double-click on [Normal Paragraph Style] and turn off hyphenation. Save and overwrite the AI file in the same location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

sorry im using a mac.
im guessing the sam ehting can be done on mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the file path there should be:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator <version number> Settings/en_LANGUAGE*/ etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that works 

great thank you 

Drew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed these instructions but Illustrator returns the code "You don't have enough priveleges to save this file" I tried renaming it but Illustrator would not accept that either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the first response from Illustrator is:

DavidLaufer_0-1671482529477.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then when I try resaving with a new name:

DavidLaufer_0-1671482619412.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving to your desktop and copy the saved file to the location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DavidLaufer,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope this issue is resolved now. This generally happens when your user profile on Mac doesn't have read & write permission. If you are still facing the issue, then would you mind performing the steps as shown in this YouTube Video to the folder where you are trying to save the file and where it is currently stored?

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Doug Robert's way and it still wasn't working for me so I dig more digging and found this solution. Even though this is an old thread, thought I'd post to help others. I ran into some bug because opening every single settings file from the Illustrator settings folder, changing hyphenation in the Paragraph window AND changing the hyphenation in the Paragraph styles wasn't working. I found out it was because I was double-clicking the [Normal Paragraph Style] to change the paragraph style but when I tried to un-chech the Hypenation box, it would turn to a dash and not an empty box. I found that re-defining the paragraph style fixed it.

Here's how I got it to work:

Open the profile you want to modify from:
Mac: (User)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator version number/language folder/New Document Profiles
Win: C:\Users\....AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator version number Settings\language folder\x64\New Document Profiles
Create a textbox and make sure the text is still selected.
In the Paragraph panel, turn Off the Hyphenate checkbox.
In the Paragraph Styles panel select the menu icon on the right-upper corner > Redefine Paragraph Style.
Delete all text items from your artboard and save the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had this problem. In the paragraph styles, I could enable hyphenation (checkmark), or leave it neutral (dashed, with the effect of enabling hyphenation), but I was not allowed to turn OFF hyphenation (blank checkbox). But turning off hyphenation (via the Paragraph controls) for an example of the style then redefining the style worked! Thank you for posting a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, this worked for me! As a bonus, I also made other changes - making the text our brand font in our brand colors. New documents now open without hypenated paragraphs and they have our branding without me having to set it every single time! Cheers to time-effecentcy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines