• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type On A Path Tool is cutting off text

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am trying to place the text adjacent to the arc lines in the photo within the shape path of the arc. I have made a copy of all of the arcs and am using the type on a path tool to align the text to the arc. Even though I have played with the alignment and type>type on a path options, the text is biasing to one side of the arc. Even though I have typed "reading materials" on the line, only the word "reading" is shown and the rest of the phrase is falling out of the text box. If I try to extend the texbox, it just stretches the font.

How can I center the text on the arc so that all the words are visible? Thanks!type on a path issue.PNG

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

It is giving me the sign for overset text, but it isn't starting in the center of the arc, so it is not giving the text as much room as it should. I just tried to simplify the stroke (only has one midpoint now) but the same thing is happening. Here is a close up. I just incliuded the straight text off to the side for reference of the intended phrase. 

close up.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

… move the starting point …

pixxxelschubser_0-1689725686931.png

[ edited by pixxxelschubser ]

Haha.
🙂

30 seconds to late

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Type or paste your text. There should be a handle near the start of the type:

tromboniator_2-1689726881617.png

Drag it to the start of the path. Since you have Paragraph set to Align center, your type should properly align to the middle of the path.

tromboniator_3-1689727105801.png

Have I missed what the problem is here?

Peter

Edit: Late as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is at least one other thread reporting this, but not a lot of people (if any) can reproduce it.

Does this happen in a new file?

You can report it as a bug: https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am unable to upload the file for some reason... it says the "post script" something or another doesn't match for the file extension so the file was removed. Not sure what that means. I even tried locking all my layers, created a new layer, traced over the existing arc with the pen tool, and tried again... sadly no avail 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a sample Illustrator file that includes just the Type on a Path object in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't it just be an overset text?

pixxxelschubser_0-1689724068588.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is giving me the sign for overset text, but it isn't starting in the center of the arc, so it is not giving the text as much room as it should. I just tried to simplify the stroke (only has one midpoint now) but the same thing is happening. Here is a close up. I just incliuded the straight text off to the side for reference of the intended phrase. 

close up.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm pretty sure it's overset text.

1. What happens if you click twice on the plus sign with the selection tool (black arrow tool)?
  2. Or - why don't you just move the starting point of your path text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you marked the wrong answer as correct, but we are glad we could help you.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By moving the verticies with the direct selection tool, I was able to fudge it enough to work. It isn't an exact match for the radius of the arc but I'm able to eyeball it at least. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… move the starting point …

pixxxelschubser_0-1689725686931.png

[ edited by pixxxelschubser ]

Haha.
🙂

30 seconds to late

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Type or paste your text. There should be a handle near the start of the type:

tromboniator_2-1689726881617.png

Drag it to the start of the path. Since you have Paragraph set to Align center, your type should properly align to the middle of the path.

tromboniator_3-1689727105801.png

Have I missed what the problem is here?

Peter

Edit: Late as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines