• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type on path moves when resizing objects

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a suite of icons that have live type on a circular path. When I resize these (by dragging the corners) the type jumps off its original orientation and I have to reset it again - see screen grab.

This doesn't happen if I scale it using the % field and I need the type to be live in order to develop more icons.

I have had this trouble for many years and just manually reset them all. Any one have any suggestions??

Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Adobe Illustrator 2024 28.5

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @GriffinGrace,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I tried replicating this on my end but was unable to do so. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact details of your workflow, if Illustrator behaves this way with all files and, if not, a public link to a sample file after uploading it to Dropbox/Google Drive/etc., and a screen recording of the entire workflow (https://adobe.ly/44XSf3G), so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav
It happens on every file that has type on a path.

My workflow in the instance of the recording:
- I copied and pasted from my master artwork.

- held Shift to scale and dragged the corners out.

Once it has flipped, I have to manually set each icon back up again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @GriffinGrace I'm curious, were these originally created in Illustrator Desktop, Web or iPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All created on my Desktop. Mac Studio, using Adobe 24 - 28.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @GriffinGrace Very odd bug here, but Sonoma has seemed to cause some very weird glitches overall. I hope this is resolved soon for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav... any ideas?

I saw some old posts from 2019, 21, 23 - with no resolution either.
It is a really bad bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again.

Any chance you have had a look at this?

How do I go about highlighting this thread to get assistance?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually when user dragging text on path with mouse and it flips to other side. Alt prevent that jumping. Does it helps you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion. No help with Alt either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you use scale tool instead of dragging corners?

Try outlining the type or making a symbol, then scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion.
The scale tool is ok, but I don't always know what size I want it to be.
I need the fonts live in order to create a suite. Once I get to Final Artwork, I have to outline it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I had a suspected you may desire the fonts to be editable, but that tells me valuable information about your problem that it resides in the live fonts.

You can use the scale tool without knowing the final size. Select object, hold down shift, then click and drag.

If you still need help, can you post a copy of the file, we can better troubleshoot if this is a font issue or some setting is on the typography.  You can use google drive or similar to post a shareable link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike
"You can use the scale tool without knowing the final size. Select object, hold down shift, then click and drag." - this is exactly what I am doing.
I am a packaging designer. I need to be able to scale my artwork manually - ie, resizing a 500g pack to a 1kg pack with different proportions. The icons are usually locked in size with the rest of the artwork.

Here is a link with some of the icons. It does this every time I use type on a path. The large oval uses Adobe Fonts.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9woulu1hu40yp8cayqxs1/BrokenType.ai?rlkey=pae4761pwdq41n7djg0mnqtv8&s...

Thanks

Nat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Griffin,

What happens if you add an independent oversize nostroke nofill circle outside each outermost circle, or just an oversize rectangle for all the circles, include those/that in the Artwork Group, and then ShiftClickDrag (and maybe hold Alt/Option to scale from the centre to avoid moving the whole thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob
This doesn't work either. I feel like I have tried everything!! I am a packaging designer so often I am transforming these icons with other elements (empty or not) such as the dieline or other templates.

It happens on every instance of type on paths. Whether it is one element or many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines