Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type on path tool bug

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The type on path tool is bugging out.
It randomly scatters all the letters all over and even outside the work area.
Closing and opening the file sometimes displays the tekst correctly again but soon it descends into utter mayhem all over.

As you can see in the example.
The 'correct' one exploded as well when I made the screenshot.
The other attached image displays it correctly.

My Illustrator is up to date and running on a 2022 macbook pro 16".

Also, my computer just crashed and restarted but I'm not sure if it's related.

The bug is still there however.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Daniel25971572n7g1,

Thanks for sharing the details. Would it be possible for you to have a debug session with us? If yes, please send me your Adobe ID, Country & Timezone, phone number with country code, and preferred dates and times between Monday and Friday over a private message.

To send a private message, click my profile picture and use the ” Send a message” button.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav

Are we any closer to a resolution for this bug - it's been happening since last year.

I've tried a few workarounds, as suggested in this thread, and while it works for the type on the path and brings it back, there are still random letters scattered around my workspace.

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav,

I'd like to help with additional debugging but I might struggle to fit this in. I'm in New Zealand so suspect opportunities to get online at a suitable time might be limited. I would say that I wasn't experiencing this issue back on Illustrator V26.x.x (the 2022 version I was using). However, given Adobe's policy of only providing access to the previous major version only i.e., V27.x.x, I can't get back to the 2022 version at all. It is a high use feature for me that is now consistently failing.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Daniel25971572n7g1,

We're sorry for the trouble. It looks like we need to troubleshoot this in a live session. Please head here (https://adobe.ly/3PSVfrY) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this exact problem. It drives me bananas! Only way to get around it is to outline the type before saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered a workaround instead of outlines - either give the circle that your type is on a little rotation and the type appears (or it did for me), that or select your type on a path tool and select where it would be sitting, and it will appear back in place - in both cases it seems to return the letters back to place rather than scattered around.

Not ideal but better than turning it into outlines if you're still not sure about your copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  The type on a circular path scatters to the wind!  It doesn't happen while I type on the circular path, but after a lot more work is done on the graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @photosculptor,

Thanks for sharing the details. Would it be possible for you to have a debug session with us? If yes, please send me your Adobe ID, Country, and timezone, phone number with country code, and preferred dates and times between Monday and Friday via private message.

To send a private message, click my profile picture and use the ”Send a message” button.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem. I have windows 11 and latest illustrator version and when I re-opened a saved project some of the text on circular path had disappeared or scattered. If I copy paste into a new project the text reappears sometimes, but then disappears or scatters when I re-open the file. Upon re-opening I also got a message that the text was from an earlier version and would flatten. Screenshots below show:

1) aic file with scattered text

2) text rendering correctly when copied into new file

3) SVG file with scattered text

4) text still scattered when copied into new file

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sara349051601mev,

Apologies for the inconvenience. Are you experiencing this issue with multiple files? Could you please confirm the version of Illustrator in which these files were created and the version you're currently using? Additionally, please share a sample file if possible. We'll do our best to assist you!

Best,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Thanks for the reply! Strangely, it is just one file so far even though I have others with type on path text all made in the same version. I was able to copy it into a new file where the text showed up correctly and now, 5 days later that file is still opening without problems. The original file is still messed up, but I think the work is rescued. The version I am using and that it was created in are both 28.0. I will upload it here.

Best,

Sara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Sara349051601mev,

Thanks for sharing the details. It could be possible that the particular file was damaged. To avoid such scenarios in the future, kindly keep multiple backups of your active work or save them as Cloud Documents (https://adobe.ly/3JHMKwb). Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

today I've got the problem of text on path that disappear

after some tests I have a procedure to reproduce the problem

I've tryed the procedure on 3 macs all with Illustrator 28.5

iMac 27" 2019 with macos Ventura

MacBook Pro M1 with macos Ventura

MacBook Pro M2 with macos Sonoma

here is the procedure

1 create a new file 

2 make one or more ovals

3 click on then with text on path tool (leave the default Myriad text)

4 save the file on the desktop

5 close the file

6 reopen the file

7 export the artboard 1 as PNG at 300 dpi on the desktop

(in the PNG file the text is invisible)

8 choose overprint preview in view menu

(the text is now invisible also in the Illustrator file)

(randomly the text is still visible so restart from point 5)

the solution that I've found to make all text of paths reappear

is to activate any new font in font explorer or font book

and go back to Illustrator that reloading the modified font list

make the text now visible again

I hope this can help to correct the bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good description of the bug creation. Another way to make the text appear is to select it and nudge it back and forth with a keyboard arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And if the text becomes invisible, you can make it visible by creating outlines. But then you get the problem of scattered text in the extreme corners of the canvas (zoom out to see it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! Finally a way of managing this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines