Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to add an object with multiple layers to swatches for pattern making

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to use the swatch pattern function, but have run into this issue.

The object is comprised of shapes made with the pen tool, brush tool, and shape tools. I can add the layers made with the brush tool OR shape tool separately into the swatch panel but not the ones made with the pen tool. If I press "Isolate specific group", I can then add my pen tool shapes to swatches, also separately. I tried grouping all of the layers together and adding them to swatches as a unit, but also not effect.

If I do "Object --> Pattern --> Make" I get an error saying "Patterns cannot contain anything painted with a pattern". I checked all lines and fills of my shapes to see if any of them were using a pattern and they were not. I also tried scribbling a new line and putting a shape on top of it and then dragging both over to swatches, but to no avail.

Any workaround? Thanks!

Capture1.JPG

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

OK, thanks. These paths look quite complex. First thing I would do it simplify them.

So each of the layers, select the paths and then Object > Expand apperarance. (inside the pattern this will happen anyway. You might want to copy this before you expand appearance in case you need to edit)

Then use the pathfinder panel and unite. Each of the layers separately and if there are differently colored objects on the layers: also the colors separately.

Then also you need to check in the appearance pane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you actually expanded the appearance? That warning could be a hint that your art brush for the flower center needs to be converted...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, converted to what? I englarged the layer with size tool to see any inconsistencies and have already pressed expand appearance, it is now greyed out. 

The art brush layer is able to be swatched. I've also tried deleting each layer to add the rest of the flower to swatch as a test to see which layer is faulty and none of them worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot is not quite clear. Which oof these objects should be a pattern?

Can you please hide the background (its distracting) and select the object you want in the swatch and then make a screenshot with those objects visible in the layers panel. Please click on the little arrow to have us take a look into the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, apologies! I want the entire flower in the swatch, which consists of layers 3,4,5 and 6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thanks. These paths look quite complex. First thing I would do it simplify them.

So each of the layers, select the paths and then Object > Expand apperarance. (inside the pattern this will happen anyway. You might want to copy this before you expand appearance in case you need to edit)

Then use the pathfinder panel and unite. Each of the layers separately and if there are differently colored objects on the layers: also the colors separately.

Then also you need to check in the appearance panel if there has maybe a pattern been applied to a stroke and then the stroke set to 0 pt. The pattern needs to be deleted from the stroke. This might happen by accident.

Then select them and then you should be able to make a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines