• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to change shapes

Engaged ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the pen tool, I am unable to change shapes after I create them. For example, I'm trying to create a half circle. I would think this would be a relatively simple process but the logic eludes me.  I can move the circle shape and resize it but I cannot alter the shape. I saw a few tutorials that suggest I can alter shapes but I'm not sure if these are relevant or applicable to shapes created by the pen tool. Instead, I'm creating special shapes using the brush tool, which is a bit tedious.

I'm still learning Illustrator but is there a way to changes shapes created by the pen tool? If not, is there another plug-in tool I can use?  Or should I just not use the pen to create special shapes (like half circles) and use the brush instead?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change a shape made with the pen tool using the Convert to Shape option under the Effect menu.

CHANGE SHAPE.png

In the screen shot above the blue shape is the shape I drew with the pen tool. The black outer ring is the shape that it will be turned into. The two pictures of the Shape Options dialog show the default settings on the left which adds 18 puts of extra width and height. This amount can be reduced or enlarged either proportionally or disproportionally to create a custom shape. The picture on the right shows the three different types of shapes that the original can be turned into. If you want to edit the finished shapes you can Expand their Appearance under the Object Menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this is a helpful tool that I will use in the future but I am unable to create a half circle using this. However, I did figure out a workaround. I grab an image of a half circle from the web, place it on my art board then had draw over it. It's a few steps but at least I can achieve this affect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are saying that you are "unable to change shapes" after you created them.

That's a statement, but at least to me it is a bit unclear what changes you are trying to do. Can you clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a half circle from a whole circle, but I found a workaround. I hand trace over a half circle image sample from the internet using the brush tool. It's a but clunky but it's the only way I know how to achieve this simple shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could just draw a circle with the Elipse tool (hold the Shift key while dragging), take the Direct Selection tool, select one of the four anchor points and then hit the Delete key on your keyboard. There is your half circle …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of ways to create half-circles, including the pen tool (though for a new user, that might be the hardest). How about:

Draw a circle with the Ellipse tool, then use the Selection tool drag the dongle to the opposite side (only works in recent versions).

Adobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_001.pngAdobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_002.png

Draw an Ellipse and shift drag with Eraser tool to cut in half, and then delete one half.

Adobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_003.pngAdobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_004.png

Or, draw a rectangle over the ellipse, select both and choose Pathfinder > Minus Front.

Adobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_005.pngAdobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_006.png

Or, select one point with the Direct Selection tool and delete it, then tap Ctrl or Cmd J (for Join) to close the open path.

Adobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_007.pngAdobe Illustrator CC 2017ss_008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Thanks! All of these methods worked for me. I wish I could have found them in the tutorials but I got it now. And yes, the Pen tool is a difficult tool for novices to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I teach all of these in an Intro to AI class, along with the Pen tool, as will most certified instructors. When you have some downtime, you might consider looking into a class. But in the meantime, happy half-circle day!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines