• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Copy & Paste in Save As Dialog box in Illustrator 2020 on macOS Catalina

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else encountering this with Illustrator 2020? What is weird is that this function was working just fine, and then one day when I started working, all of a sudden I cannot copy and paste text into the Save As dialog box. You may think that this is just a miniscule thing to be annoyed by; however, I work for a marketing firm and I create tons of ads for businesses on the daily. It is much faster for me to just copy and paste a business's name into that field and save it really quickly. Now, what I have to do, which is super, super annoying and just takes up more of my time, is that I save it as "Untitled" into the appropriate folder, then I have to close the document, go to the folder, and rename it to get it to paste the name that I want, then I have to open the document back up. This is ridiculous and I really hope that either someone has found a way to change this setting or that Adobe updates this bug ASAP.

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Hi @gui.cirilo @skivvie @Southwest Grafix,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue. I understand this has been pending for a long time. Our Product team is already aware of this, and it is in their backlog.

We try to address as many bugs as possible with every release and prioritize on the basis of issue severity or no. of upvotes/ user volume regarding the particular issue. I have informed them again regarding the issue.

Moreover, I would request you all to upvote this UserVoice

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator while saving the files by copying and pasting in Save As dialog box. I would request if you can share a few more details like: 

1. Operating System and its exact version.
  2. Is the issue related to a specific document?
  3. Where are you trying to save the file (Network Drive/ System Hard Drive/ Shared Folder on System /External Hard Drive)?
  4. When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

I am on a Late 2015 iMac, OS Catalina 10.15.1 (most recent release), and I have kept Illustrator 2020 up to date as well (v. 24.0). It is for any new document that I create--and I try to save it anywhere. On my desktop, on the external drive for my company, on a a USB drive... you name it. This started happening a couple of days ago. I didn't make any changes to my work computer. I know that I did update to 2020 a few days ago, but like I said, it was working just fine, even on 2020, and then all of a sudden it stopped. I could understand if I went from 2019 to 2020 that I would probably just have to revert back and it would work. Honestly, I probably still can do that, but I'd prefer to be on the newest version, of course. No new extensions or antivirus installed at all. See davidw6427758's response below as well. I think he said it best--when you go to Save As in Illustrator, it disables the keyboard shortcut commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. I did notice that right clicking and selecting "copy/cut/paste" works, but this is NOT an ideal fix by any means.
I can't find any solutions or other discussions about this problem as of yet. From my observations the "Save As" window disables the keyboard shortcut commands for Illustrator; Select All, Copy, Cut, Paste... It's all disabled until you exit the window. (Illustrator will recognize the input because the "Edit" in the menu bar highlights when you press the keys, but still, nothing happens.) From my experience this is a problem exclusive to Illustrator. No other program on my computer has this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I am not the only one encountering this! For me the right click option does not seem to work either. [Edit: I tried the right clicking again and now it seems to be working. Thank you for that suggestion! It is still annoying, but not as annoying as my workaround]. And you're right--I am only having this issue with Illustrator. InDesign and Photoshop do not pose this problem for me at all. Hoping that it is just a bug they can patch very quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing additional information. Can you try resetting the preferences of Illustrator by following these steps:

• Close Illustrator.
  • Click on the Finder icon on the dock, choose Go on the top> Go To Folder.
  • In the Go To Folder dialog box, type "~/Library". Click Go.
  • Open the Preferences Folder > rename the Illustrator  24 Settings folder to Illustrator  24 Settings folder.old
  • Under Preferences, Open Adobe folder and rename Adobe Illustrator folder to Adobe Illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open caches->rename  com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator  24 folder to Illustrator  24 folder.old

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

I tried what you suggested, but unfortunately, it still will not simply let me use the cmd + c and cmd + v method to copy and paste into the Save As dialog =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work for me either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

Sorry to hear about this. This has been reported by a few other users as well and our Product team is looking into it. Could you please check and confirm if you have the same issue on other Adobe applications like Photoshop/ Premiere Pro?

I would also suggest that if you can post this issue on our UserVoice page (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/ ). This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Srishti! This does not happen for me in any other programs besides Adobe Illustrator. I do not use Premiere Pro, but my firm uses InDesign and Photoshop and I haven't had this problem in those two programs. I will also post this on the UserVoice page!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for confirming. Once you post this on UserVoice page, share the link here, so that others could also upvote on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirm. This does not happen with any other of the Adobe products I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey y'all,

I was going to make a new post on the UserVoice page, but it looks like someone beat me to it! Please vote if you are having the same issue:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38976301--save-as-windo...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 24.0.1 and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm on a Mac. I updated to Catalina: 10.15.4, and with that went ahead and updated from 24.0.1 (which had been working.) It seems this issue has come back in the newest version, 24.1. I am not able to paste into the "New Folder" save box. I can paste by Command V renaming a file, but If I click new folder and try to Paste (Command V) and it will not work. I can right-click and paste in, but that's much more inconvenient. I have gone back to the older version, but it's not working anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has never been resolved for me. I updated regularly and have been unable to use copy/paste shortcuts in save windwos for Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, etc. I'm using the latest version of OS X 10.15 (but have been experiencing this issue for many months).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I've been encountered this issue for the longest time now. I hope we get a fix soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to have no intention to fix this issue. I use the PS "Save for Web..." window hundreds of times each week and this is a crippling bug. I already dropped Lightroom for Capture1. Looking forward to canceling the full CC subscription I've had since the beginning!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021, February 5th. I am still encountering this very annoying issue. This is not a problem on Windows. I have only ever expeirnced this on my iMac. This issue slows productivity, which, hinders performance and efficiency. This ultimatley costs money. I am replying to a thread of other concerned people who have actually paid for their time to be wasted. Now, as I sit here typing I am also wasting your time, my time and possibly many others' who are stuck reading this. As a concerned Adobe customer I hope that this finally gets fixed for other Mac users. I get it... a little dramatic, maybe. Maybe not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STILL HAVING THIS PROBLEM.  TODAY IS JUNE 16TH I AM USING VERSION 26.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same - photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here—having this problem in Adobe Photoshop as well.

Menu commands for Select-All, Copy, and Paste do not work from within the Save For Web file dialoge.  

Keyboard shortcuts do not work as well.  I can confirm that right-click contextual menu commands for Copy and Paste do work as a work-around.

Note: From within the normal Save / Save-As dialogue, the commands seem to work fine in Photoshop—it seems to only be an issue for me in Photoshop in the Save for Web function.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.2 20200807.r.289 2020/08/07: 287d0d87ec x64 Number of Launches: 245 Operating System: Mac OS 10.15.6 System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:13 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for those who still struggle to use a shortcut on save as, i create (well, modified to be exact) a script which will save your file on Desktop (you can edit it to wherever you want to save).

this script will save your file on a folder which has the same name as your file. and cmd-V also works.. 🙂

there are 2 scripts you can use.. one will create a folder which has the same name as your file (your file will be save on that folder). and one without creating a folder.

please see this script in action here : https://youtu.be/YtwaaLq7GdI

i know it's not perfect as you can't decide where you want to save your file on the fly, but at least this script allow you to copy paste AND without struggle with pre-selected extension.. 😄

nb : i'm not a programmer, i just take the code here and there.. and then modified it. so i'm not taking request to modify it.. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this issue fixed yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I've had it off and on on different computers. My newest Mac was working perfect with Copy and Paste. I then upgraded to a different version of IOS, and it stopped working. It's only on the new folder pop up within the save, where I'm having issues copy and pasting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines