Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to create new file in Illustrator 2020 on macOS Mojave

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've just updated to Illustrator 2020 (running on macOS Mojave) and for some reason I am unable to create a new file. I can open and save files with no problem but am unable to create new files; ie nothing happens either from 'Create new..' or using the menu bar. I'm probably missing something very obvious but has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks!

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

hi dear i hope you're alright

i've had this problem like a about a month and i recently found out the solution

you just need to go to edit/preferences/general and check the box of (legacy"create new" format) or something like that I'm not sure if it is 100% what i wrote

and that's it . it will work like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Just in case the Preference is here:

Preferences > General > Use legacy "File New" interface

Use Legacy "File New" Interface PreferenceUse Legacy "File New" Interface Preference

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is great! you saved my day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why isn't this the top answer? This immediately resolved my issue. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why did i have to scroll ALL the way to the bottom for this answer. it clearly helped a lot of people, including myself. stopped me from losing over an hour of work. tysm!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"why did i have to scroll ALL the way to the bottom for this answer."

Because the solution to thiskind of problem might be different for different people and also in different versions or on different systems. Which might be the reason that it hasn't been marked as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!! Yay!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! 

I wonder why Adobe would think "create new" wouldn't be a feature we still want to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HUGE HELP THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely ridiculous, Adobe. I shouldn't have to choose a template to make a new file. What the hell were you people thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprise! All new Illustrator files are based on some sorts of template.

Can you please tellus what is your issue precisely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

Why have you buried being able to create a new file? I just downloaded Illustrator 2021 and the "New Document" dialogue box only allows me access to templates?! I can't just create a blank new document of a size I need. That is ridiculous! Thank goodness for this group and the answers of Preferences > General > Use legacy "File New" interface. Why in the world would you build a New Document dialogue box that doesn't allow you to create your own file to the specs you want! It's a basic function and should be default! Please fix this in any versions going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update sucks. Regreting paying for the license. -_-

Thank you to the guys who found the solution:

edit/preferences/general and check the box of (legacy"create new" format)

adobe: please stop thinking all your users are dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FOUND a problem file.

1) Go to the folder C:\Users\166(...user name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings\en_GB(...depending on what language you have, if it does not help, go to the folder with another language)\x64

2) Delete or drag to another folder the file """PresetDocumentProfileDataV2. json" "" Done, we are happy!

Like to help others with the same problem))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines