• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Save after updating to macOS Monterey v12.3 & Illustrator v26.1 - Save as Greyed out

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me. Just updated Monterey (V.12.3)  & Illustrator (V.26.1) & saving as is no longer an option.

Currently duplicating files in finder, renaming and then working on these and them regular saving seems to work but its not the most elegant workaround. One would think that an issue that has been solved for a half year wouldn't return with every single update. Super annoying.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Hi All,

We are glad to inform you that the save button greyed out/ unclickable issue has been addressed. We worked with Apple and addressed this issue with the latest macOS update, v12.3.1, released last week. I would request you to update and let us know if the issue still persists.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Hi All,

We are really sorry for the trouble. We are working with Apple to resolve the issue.
(https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/unable-to-save-files-macOS.html)

In the meantime, I would request you all to try the following workarounds:

• Resize the Save As dialog and check.
  • If that doesn't help, then pan around with the dialog and check if the Save button appears.

Save As Issue.gif

I hope it helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have been searching for an answer for this all day, and this totally worked for me! I didn't even get the error you got, just worked the first time and now works every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to the list of Adobe Apps in the Creative Cloud Desktop App and click on the three dots on the right side of the Illustrator listing, you’ll find a link to earlier versions of Illustrator. You can download one of them ( I chose Illustrator 26.0.3). That should eliminate the problem. I was on Chat with an Adobe techie, and he told me that Adobe was having this problem with “save as” with Illustrator in the latest version—at least on some computers (maybe just Macs). I asked him if it would help to revert to an earlier version and he told me how to do that with the three dots. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem happening here, no ability to save a document or cancel out of a save window. No way to get out of the dialog box, stuck in save window with no options available.  OS 12.3, Illustrator all updated (v26.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone working on this or find a solution? Pretty big deal if we can't save any work in the program. Help please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's March 20, and I'm having issues saving files on my desktop in Illustrator. The 'Save' button is grayed out... HELP!!!! 

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 1.25.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can try this:

Copy an old Illustrator file in the Finder. Rename the copy to the name your new file should have. Open it in Illustrator. Delete everything in the file. If you can save it, use it for your new creation.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated Illustrartor and do not have the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok everyone, please notice:

There might be an easier solution (so easy it actually made me mad for spending so much time trying to find a "fix" to the bug: watch the video attached and see what happens when i resize a Save Dialogue window the just refused to save with the infamous grey button. 
Since I noticed several other display bugs and quirks (on cip preview, on an external display, with M1) I assume this greyed button could just have been a display issue.
Try resizing your window and best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks a lot!!

The resize solution works fine for me with 12.3. The problem didn't occur in Adobe but in Safarai and Finder in general since the last OS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scaling down the window worked for me, too - button turned blue. Weird one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. C'mon Adobe this is big issue that needs to be address IMMEDIATELY.  Its now Mar 22. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to read all the messages (start from the end of the thread). Some people have found workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. C'mon Adobe this is big issue that needs to be address IMMEDIATELY.  Its now Mar 22. 

By @Brandtagonist

Being that one poster said it was happening in other apps besides Adobe, perhaps it is an Apple issue?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are really sorry for the trouble. We are working with Apple to resolve the issue.
(https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/unable-to-save-files-macOS.html)

In the meantime, I would request you all to try the following workarounds:

• Resize the Save As dialog and check.
  • If that doesn't help, then pan around with the dialog and check if the Save button appears.

Save As Issue.gif

I hope it helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is solved. I am using Monterey 12.3 with M1 Mac, and has this issue of not being able to save. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am experiencing this problem 21 March 2022. Is there a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently not.

There are new threads about not being able to save in the current version of Monterey. Please refer to them: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/cannot-save-on-macos-12-3/m-p/12820262#M31418...

Please add your vote in Uservoice, so you will be notified of the progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Niklas23681095c7r4 @hongkyunk79954291,

We are sorry for the trouble. I have moved your comments to a new post with a new save as issue. Please try the workarounds suggested above.

I hope it helps!

Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having the same issue but the workaround unfortunately doesn't work for me. Any news on a fix? Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Melissa Doran,

We are sorry about the trouble. There is another save as issue going on in which the save button is grayed out in Save As dialog box, or are you getting the following error message: "Illustrator tried, but could not save the file "filename.ai." Click "Learn More" to try alternate options for saving your file."?

Or are you getting any other errors or facing any other issues while saving the files?

Also, where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response Anshul. Yes - the save button is greyed out if I save at all - for the first time, or if I "save as" then if I press cancel it won't cancel and I have to force quit. I haven't been getting any errors. I'm saving the files on my computer network drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that, @Melissa Doran. I have moved your comment to a post similar to your query. I have posted a workaround for this. Please check the correct marked answer above on this post. Also, we are working with Apple to fix this issue as this needs to be fixed from their side.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anshul, that worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem

can't save a new file, can't save as, can't export jpg, can't save an existing ai file as pdf

I cannot work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read all the posts.Workarounds have been posted, such as  resizing the dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines