Exit

Up Down Arrow keys are not changing polygon sides or star sides

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Adobe Creative Cloud Illustrator 2021 25.0

Using polygon or star tool, pressing up/down arrows (while mouse down) does not change number of polygon sides or star points. 

I checked preferences and it's not the keyboard increment setting (since up/down works with the selection tool).

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

The most recent Illustrator version update might've helped because it's working now (it was updated from v25 to v25.0.1 November 28th)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similarly, up/down keys for increment/decrement functionality doesn't work for line tools either (arc, spiral, rectangular, none of them)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you use it?

You need to press the keys while the mouse button is still down when drawing the shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes my mouse button was down and I did not release it; I have been doing that. Dragging out the shape while pressing the up/down keys (while mouse down means I have not let go of the mouse click; indicated by the outline still being green and the size still changes changes as I move the mouse).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

What else is running on your system?

Some applications and extensions "steal" the keypresses. The Chrome browser is an example, but also screensharing apps and antivirus. Can you shut down everything and launch only Illustrator and try again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The up/down arrows still work when I use the selection tool. If other apps were overriding the arrows, then I wouldn't have been able to use the selection tool to move objects up/down. So far I'm finding it's the mouse-down combo that's an issue.

I restarted my machine to make sure no other apps were running; no difference.

I checked my keyboard preferences, went through the shortcuts and deselected ctrl+up and ctrl+down, even if they contained ctrl, just in case; no difference. I couldn't see any other shortcut tied to the arrow keys.

I uninstalled and reinstalled v25, no difference.

I uninstalled 25 and installed a previous version 24.3, no difference.

For the record I'm using:

• Creative Cloud 5.3.1.470
  • Apps 5.3.1.470
  • CoreSync 4.3.63.1
  • CCX Process 4.1.0.36
  • CC Library 3.9.27.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use an antivirus?

Which one is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent Illustrator version update might've helped because it's working now (it was updated from v25 to v25.0.1 November 28th)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and I am in AI 26.01.  I'm going through Deke McClelland's tutorials and arc and spiral tools are not responding with mouse down/ arrors or F keys.  

What is the deal?

I'm using Big Sur OS, 11.5.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work after a computer reboot and then launch nothing else but Illustrator?

A lot of applications are interfering with keystrokes and you have to eliminate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did it.  Thank you kindly.

LPM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines