• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated 3D in 2022 - is the "Perspective" adjustment option missing?

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old 3D function (extrude and bevel) had a Perspective option. The new 3D function appears not to have this? The perspective slider is very useful for adapting the 3D object to background photos shot with different lenses.

Just being able to rotate and object around X, Y and Z is fine and all, but to make it look realistic I need Perspective. 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Hi there,

As Doug mentioned above, 3D options are a work-in-progress. I will forward this feedback to the Product team. I would suggest if you could also post it here ( https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/938463-illustrator-feature-feedback/suggestions/44254299-improved-3d-effects-and-adobe-substance-materials#comments ). This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote, which would help us prioritize.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new 3D options are a work-in-progress, and don't necessarily include the full final feature set:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/create-3d-graphics.html?trackingid=YB1TGLWS&mv=in-product&...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. You should still be able to use the 3D Classic options under Effects > 3D and Materials > 3d(Classic)

Ashutosh_Mishra_0-1635342767989.png

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That´s true. But I would like to use the new feature. Maybe there will be an update with Perspective in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As Doug mentioned above, 3D options are a work-in-progress. I will forward this feedback to the Product team. I would suggest if you could also post it here ( https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/938463-illustrator-feature-feedback/suggestions/44254299-im... ). This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote, which would help us prioritize.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the other things that are missing from the new 3D options are 'Map Art' and the ability to add more than one light source. The Map Art facility being hugely important.

Hopefully these will also be added if Adobe wish us to eventually move from the 'Classic' options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best Answer!!!! I was going crazy trying to figure out how to create a Map Art. But Thanks!! Looking forward for the updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosch,
It doesn't appear always? I have tryed make an 3D effect in the classic mode and it is showed only at first time.
Regards,
Gui

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, i need to use the Map Art or add a custom symbol to a 3D object but its not available as well as the 3D classic panel, i don't have options next to the 3D and Materials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The classic 3D options are under the menu Effect > 3D & Materials > 3D (Classic)

There is a 'Map Art' button at the bottom of the effect options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little late to the replies, but there is a solution that I've been using which (so far) has worked well to get the perspective to work with the new 3d tools.

In the appearance panel for your selected object, add two different 3D effects:  Add the "3D rotate (Classic)" and the new "3D and Materials".  Make sure the "3D Rotate (Classic)" is below the new 3d effect in the appearance panel.

For the classic 3d settings, set the rotations to 15, 0, 0 (X, Y, and Z rotations but only 15 degrees on X).  Set the perspective to max  or whatever works best for you.

Now when you use the new 3D rotation tools, the perspective will be applied from the classic 3D rotation effect.  You can of course adjust the X rotation and perspective from the classic 3d settings if you want a more aggressive perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very bizarre, but it works! Nice find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting strange results with this method. First I apply classic 3D to an ellipse with 15,0,0 rotations as described and then set the perspective to some number. With the object still selected I applied the new 3D and Materials. In the appearances panel I drag the classic 3D layer below the 3D and Materials layer. But it's as if the 3D and Materials result becomes a 2D image on a 3D bounding box created by the classic 3D with perspective (see attached).  Am I doing it wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sure why it's giving you that result.  I tried duplicating the same steps on an ellipse and it seemed to work ok.  Keep in mind, this way of trying to fix the perspective issue is a bit of hack and only works some of the time.  It works best on a horizontal plane like a table top and doesn't really work well for vertical rotations like a wall.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you place the classic rotation above the 3d material and rotation like in this attached image?  It seems like doing it that way sometimes works when the other way fails.

I'm really hoping Adobe adds the perspective option to the 3D rotation with materials soon.  I'm rarely using it due to the lack of perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same strange result. Notice the 3D classic object is projected as an extrusion in the 3D rotation with materials.  Yeah, let's hope Adobe comes up with a fix in the near future. Perspective seems like an obvious feature that should have been included from the start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that the difference is that Dead Taco is applying 3D Rotate (Classic) and you are applying 3D Extrude & Bevel (Classic). Quite different results.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, in the midst of teaching the 3D features I shockingly discovered so many of the "Classic" features "gone".

My work around thanks to a student pointing it out, was to work in the "3D Classic" mode: Effect >3D and Materials>3D (Classic).

Really Adobe?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have probably seen the mention in the 3D & materials panel that this is a "technology preview"?

It's there because they are still developing it.

The classic 3D options are still there, just use them.

And don't forget to post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

It's the only way to get your demands to the developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get them to work. It's bad enough that I have to pay $500 to an academic institution to learn an app because the learning curve is so high, but I cannot get the classic 3D to work on my art. I click on the art, and the classic option disappears. It's part of my assignment to use Map Art, and it is nowhere. My IQ feels lower when I use Ai. At least help me finish my assignment, please. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean when you say the option disappears? The actual menu item vanishes?

DougARoberts_0-1647853175367.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. Yes, the screen comes up without it, the button simply isn't there, but it was there before... I figured out how to get around it, which surprised the heck out of me. I'm really analytical, but I don't understand this app. I admittedly am having trouble getting into the mind of the creators to understand the "big picture" of this app... When I started the object, I did not click on 3D classic, so when I tried to do something else (use Map Art), clicking on 3D classic didn't work. I had to delete the object and click 3D classic the first time I used it on that object (to revolve). Then when I used 3D classic on it later to get to Map Art, the option was there. Without doing that, there is no Map Art button, and the panel is totally different. So what I've learned is not to use the new 3D at this point because I don't know when it will have all the features I want (no buttons disappearing and unable to be accessed).

My feedback on this is: Now that I have that sorted out, I have to ask: Why would features be rolled out when they apparently aren't finished, and they don't work together with other features? I get that a beta testing model is used frequently, but this is missing important things. Why would AI not finish the work, test the heck out of it, and roll it out when it's ready? This has wasted a lot of my time, lessened my opinion of the app builders, and gotten me a lower grade because my assignment was late. I was SO close to being done, and I couldn't turn it in. And all I was trying to do was attach a label to my 3D bottle. It's mindblowing how much trouble that supposedly simple task became.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to remove an effect, you don't need to delete the object. Open the appearance panel and delete it:

DougARoberts_0-1648226413119.png

As for the rest, I'm not sure what you're talking about; the 'Classic' options don't disappear if you use the new 3D panel:

DougARoberts_1-1648226601654.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate it at this point because it won't let me do the effect twice, but the difference between classic and the current panel is that there is no Map Art available. Someone from Adobe addressed this, which made me realize I was supposed to be using classic in my assignment. The problem was that, when I revolved in the current 3D, trying to do Map Art in classic did not work. I had to back out of it and use classic to revolve first. This is the only way I got it to work.

I'm new to this, so there may be more ways than one to do the same thing. This is what worked for me. Undo is the most frequently used feature for me at this point. Thank you for pointing out the trash button. I had not seen that. Maybe that will be my next most frequently used button. I hope not. Thank you for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if it is a "Work in Progress"...why release it? Huge step backwards Adobe! Are you trying to lose customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably referring to me, therefore: If this were not released as long as it is WIP, then it would probably take a few years until it's done and afterwards everyone would still have needs, but it won't be touched anymore.

While it still is WIP, you can already do some useful things with it. The old functions are still there and work, so nobody gets hurt by the new function being in the app. Quite the contrary: a lot of people can use a nice function. And: whoever ha a wish for a feature can tell it to them and has a reasonable chance that it gets implemented. I see only winners there.

On top of that: Agile development.

On top of that: This forum is at least 95% people being not Adobe staff. If you want to tell something to the developers, just use this: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines