• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use cloud saves as backup for local files?

Participant ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had an issue where Illustrator crashed and no recovery file was saved. I started doing a bit of reading up on autosaving and cloud files, but I'm not sure I can do what I want to do. Is there a way to save my files as a local file (well, on a networked drive), yet use the cloud as a backup to take advantage of the autosave feature? The way I understand it is that autosave cannot be used to save local or networked files. Is there a way to make any of this happen with the least amount of steps required? I was surprised to find this so difficult as we use Framemaker with Illustrator to create our books and Framemaker has an autosave feature that saves to the same directory as the original file. 

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Maybe this helps, it is not auto save, but if you save, you automatically create a version.

You can save your files in the CC files folder, the files are saved locally, get backupped and versioned and you still can create your own backups because they are saved locally.

Sync:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-files.html

Versioning:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/versioning-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

There are currently 6 or 7 requests on uservoice for an autosave feature. I voted for all as "critical" and urge anyone reading to do the same. 

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests: Top (4042 ideas) – Adobe Illustrator (uservoice.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recovery in Illustrator is not Autosave.

In the Cloud Illustrator uses the AIC format, locally is AI

For saving both there is no automatism. It might get really clunky saving that.

What you could do is save to your Creative Cloud folder. But there is no autosave mechanism for that. The only benefit would be that files are synchronized to the Cloud.

The most streamlined solution would be the plugin Autosaviour. There is a free version and a paid version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that recovery is not autosave, never said it was. While it has worked out well for me in the past, this time it did not. 

Sounds like the Framemaker team and the Illustrator team need to have a chat and implement that feature. I guess it's time to head to uservoice and make a request. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this helps, it is not auto save, but if you save, you automatically create a version.

You can save your files in the CC files folder, the files are saved locally, get backupped and versioned and you still can create your own backups because they are saved locally.

Sync:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-files.html

Versioning:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/versioning-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ton! I'll look into it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are currently 6 or 7 requests on uservoice for an autosave feature. I voted for all as "critical" and urge anyone reading to do the same. 

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests: Top (4042 ideas) – Adobe Illustrator (uservoice.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines