• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable Width Profile is greyed out

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to use my illustrator account but the variable width profile is greyed out in any new document that I create and any document I work on which is affecting my ability to print. Does anybody know how to fix this issue? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you select a stroke to apply a variable width to it, does that stroke have a calligraphy brush applied?

In which wa does that affect printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 1.36.27 PM.png

I'm trying to print on cardboard and it won't allow me to vector print without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dw79160129  schrieb

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 1.36.27 PM.png

I'm trying to print on cardboard and it won't allow me to vector print without it.

I don't understand at all what you're doing there.

Please elaborate what exactly you're doing. It will also help to see your artwork and not just parts of your screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. All I want the variable width profile to say is "Uniform" but it wont. I have a page here of some stars (the lighter ones) that will cut fine on the laser cutter and then bolder ones wont. The only difference that I can see when I click on the line is that the "Varible Width Profile" is greyed out

clipboard_image_1.png 

clipboard_image_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is one of those strokes aligned to the outside or inside of the path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are both seperate lines. The kids drew one star and then drew a smaller star and put it inside the first one. Is that what you are asking? (Sorry, quite a novice)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you increase your stroke size to 1 or 2 point thickness?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and fixed it using this solution:

https://lioncx.com/2019/09/02/variable-width-profile-is-greyed-out-in-illustrator/

You just need to make sure that the “Align Stroke” setting is set correctly, as per the link. Fixed the issue instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this totally answered my question. My computer crashed and I had lost my regular settings in pretty much everything, and couldn't figure out why what I normally just do I wasn't able to do. Thanks again! Sj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue. I tried changing the Allign Stroke to Center setting but that didn't change it. Strangely enough if I do the key command to select the tool (Shift W on Mac) it allows me to use it. But the tool is still greyed out in the tool panel "Modify section". There are a couple other tools like this too. Some kind of UI bug???

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 2.27.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a screenshot form the edit toolbar dialog box.

And it means that the tool is already in the toolbar,.

Go to Window > Toolbar > Advanced to get all tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As many have already suggested the main reason for this is if the stork is not set to align center, but inside or outside.  There might be a new reason we are missing so I would suggest selecting the path and hit "D" to default the stroke, and see if variable width profile is then available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines