Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VBScript(vbs) no longer runs on WIN11

Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I had a requirement to create a zip file in my Illustrator script for which I write a vbs script to file and execute it using the execute() method, this has been working fine so far but now on WIN11 the vbs does not work. This happens both for CC2022 and CC2021. On looking in the event log i see the following error

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
 and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
 to the user DESKTOP-8NV6RBL\manan SID (S-1-5-21-1432497791-1835572230-1186130413-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

Looking up this error I find MS says it should not cause any issue(see here) but trying to fix the permissions(see here) I was able to get the script working. So this seems to be a permission issue that needs to be adressed at the Adobe end. Can someone verify this issue happening on their WIN11 machines as well. If it is then we could raise a bug request, my script is rendered useless due to this blocker.

P.S.:- I tried executing the vbs using ExtendScript as the engine and it worked so definitely something to do with Illustrator installation in my opinion.

-Manan

TOPICS
Bug , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Hi Manan, your script works like a charm on my system.

I run it

- by double-clicking on it,

- from a jsx execute() in the estk

- from a jsx execute() from illustrator file menu

I just installed Win 11 about a three weeks ago after ignoring the "upgrade" notice for a while. I didn't do anything special after that. Adobe apps run fine, Office apps run fine. I didn't have to run as administrator or didn't have to adjust any settings. Win 11 just worked out of the box.

The only complain I have i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan, I run a vbs script from ESTK targetting Illustrator CC2022 vis execute() and it worked fine.

Do you want me to test any particular scenario?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CarlosCanto,

Are you testing on a Win11 machine? My script also works fine on other WIN versions but fails on Win11.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan, yes I'm on Win 11...I'm not linking the looks of it by the way 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

I had checked on three WIN11 machine and all failed to work for me. Can you try and execute the following vbs that I use. It just creates a zip file and moves it to a new location. You can change the arguments as needed, the first argument is the folder that needs to be zipped and the second is the final path of the zip to be created.

Also could you please confirm the Illustrator and Win11 build that you are using.

P.S.:- At the risk of creating a controversy or getting a huge backlash, I never liked Win once I started using MAC's and that's more than a decade now. But, with MAC's not getting prohibitevely expensive I may have to switch, still holding on to my 2014 MAC 🙂

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbj2s4j2wmvcoqd/helper_copy.vbs?dl=0

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan, your script works like a charm on my system.

I run it

- by double-clicking on it,

- from a jsx execute() in the estk

- from a jsx execute() from illustrator file menu

I just installed Win 11 about a three weeks ago after ignoring the "upgrade" notice for a while. I didn't do anything special after that. Adobe apps run fine, Office apps run fine. I didn't have to run as administrator or didn't have to adjust any settings. Win 11 just worked out of the box.

The only complain I have is that Excel can not connect to illustrator via COM, but that has happened before with previous Illustrator versions under Win 10 so, not exactly a Win 11 problem.

Illustrator CC v26.0

my specs

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎12/‎18/‎2021
OS build 22000.376
Serial number xxxxxxxxxx
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.376.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CarlosCanto,

So finally I was able to test this with a fresh install of Win11 and as you said it does work. So the issue seems to be with an upgraded Win11 machine. If someone has any insights on how to fix this without any registry, permission, owernship edit wizadry then please show me the elusive path. For now I am thinking of using an invisible CEP extension to do the zipping for me, hopefully that would work atleast.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Manan Joshi , fyi, PowerShell can also zip file in case it is easier to implement than CEP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines