• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Waterfall graph in Illustrator

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a plugin or script that can help plotting a waterfall graph in Illustrator?
we've got all the other graphs but not Waterfall.

or if you can advice me on how to do a waterfall graph in illustrator, that would be great.

NOTE: I can do Waterfall graphs from Excel and Powerpoint and import that into Illustrator, but when the data changes, I have to go back to Excel or Powerpoint to change it. And yes, i can change colours in Powerpoint. But bringing it into Excel, it comes in as a group and thus cannot change any data if something changes.
can anyone help me, please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean bringing the graph into ILLUSTRATOR and not Exel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you google anything?

Not sure if it will do everything you want, but check out:

https://www.datylon.com

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer. I check datylon out. I don't often do waterfall graphs, so cannot justify buying a subscription of 15 Euro per month.

I do the graph in Excell and then import them to Illustrator, keeping the Excell file in the same folder as Illustrator graph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could probably do this with a script if you named layers explicitly or tagged them with variables, then update them with an exported CSV from Excel. It doesn't really reduce the number of steps, though. It will just facilitate the process in that you don't lose custom styling in AI, not start from scratch every time.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
I wonder if Illustrator fundis haven't thought about giving us a Waterfall graph in the toolbar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask the purpose of importing the Excel charts into Illustrator? Is InDesign the final stop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Indesign is the final stop.
The idea is to plot the waterfall chart in Illustrator and import it into Indesign.
I want to keep the data in Illustrator so that when client makes a change to a number, that it can be updated quick without losing any colour or for me to go back to Excell to update the graph there and then bring it back into Illustrator. Result: we loose all the formatting and colours.
This is for printing CMYK with clients corporate colours. Not upload to Website.

For website I export straight from Excell or Powerpoint as a PDF and place that into Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider this workflow:

Create chart in Excel.

Save.

Save-as PDF.

Place PDF in InDesign.

For updates, edit Excel file, save, and replace old PDF.

In InDesign:

Export as PDF without converting colors.

Convert colors in Acrobat and convert RGB blacks to 100%K using the Preserve Black setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do lots of Annual Reports that gets printed in CMYK with clients' corporate colours.

I do create the Waterfall chart in Excel and then bring it into Illustrator to fix the colours. But when the client changes a figure in their chart, then it is back to Excel, make the change and bring it back into Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What are you fixing in the colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator do not have a Waterfall graph in their toolbar. That is why I Import the plotted Waterfall graph from Excell or Powerpoint and then change the colours, fonts, etc to client's specifications.
I can plot a waterfall graph if ALL figures are positive using stacked bar chart. But you cannot mix a positive and negative figure in one line.
that's where Excell and PowerPoint comes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines