• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

white parts to transparancy

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i used white blocks to "cut away" several parts of an icon i'm creating.
I was wondering if it's possible to save the icon, whereas the white parts will be transparant, but still cut out the parts needed to cut out for the iconScreenshot 2018-10-24 at 11.55.17.png

so as you can see, it's a simple icon design, but the white parts should be transparant!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Select all.

Select the Shape Builder Tool: Shift M

Hold down the Alt key and drag over the white parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you going to print or save this icon as bitmap. If you will choose PNG they will be transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that didn't do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select just the white parts. Make a compound path (Ctrl + 8). Select the white parts and the black, then in Pathfinder panel click on Minus Front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using mac, i tried cmd+8 but didn't do anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it should work just fine to select all the parts and click on Minus Front, as long as the white paths are in front of the black one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ach yeah, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all.

Select the Shape Builder Tool: Shift M

Hold down the Alt key and drag over the white parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lukas,

Another (reversible) way is the old Opacity Mask (with Clip unticked and Invert Mask ticked), after Grouping the white paths and selecting them along with the relevant black part(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more:

Select just the white parts. Reduce their opacity to zero. Group them with the back parts, and tick Knockout Group in the transparency panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd heard about this method but never quit understood it. This simple explanation solidified it crystal clear to me thank you Doug. It's like finding little gold nuggets along the path of life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean knockout groups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the knockout groups portion of transparency. Your explanation helped me finally get it. I'm using Win CS6 so I'm far behind the current version but I don't think Adobe has messed much with the Transparency tools even in the newest version although I could be wrong.

With the method you gave it leaves the conversion completely "live" and using the appearance panel I can go back and change the size of objs on the fly as in the screenshot below

2018-10-24_9-44-28.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cactus Cowboy,

You may call the Knockout Group the intricate transparency/opacity masking; as implied by you the usual (lack of) explanation/instruction is of little help, in contrast to the exquisite instruction from Doug.

I usually just point to the Opacity Mask when both ways may be used and limit the Knockout Group suggestion to more special cases, but I may change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another joyful side effect I found is that exporting the finished proj to .svg all obj's are recognized as paths...excellent! No linked bitmap residue to mess with so kudos to Adobe and the W3C for working closely on that one. Here another screenshot with sandwiched knockout.

2018-10-24_10-42-26.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I let my enthusiasm override my post before I checked the file in the browser. The effect isn't (I repeat, isn't ) recognized in .svg format. I'm sad that more interest has been shown in this promising file format supposedly the replacement for the long beleaguered .eps format. I blame us the artists for not voicing enough enthusiasm. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cactus+Cowboy  schrieb

I'm afraid I let my enthusiasm override my post before I checked the file in the browser. The effect isn't (I repeat, isn't ) recognized in .svg format. I'm sad that more interest has been shown in this promising file format supposedly the replacement for the long beleaguered .eps format. I blame us the artists for not voicing enough enthusiasm. 

SVG is a completely different beast than EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed it is my friend. indeed it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The W3C working group is working on specifications for knockout groups in SVG: SVG Compositing Specification

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another variation:

Select the black and the white objects.

Hold down the Alt key and click on the Minus Front icon in the Pathfinder panel to make a Compound Shape.

Comp shape.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to argue with Ton's reply as it works great but I think Doug's answer using the transparency's knockout option is the better choice as it leave it as a live effect that can readily be available in the appearance pallet where as using live paint you'd have to leave it in live paint to change anything and commits the effect once you expand it. Just my opinion. No disrespect to choice or Ton intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were lots of good solutions, knockout groups, opacity masks and compound shapes all are good, non destructive solutions.

The shape builder isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of those questions I like because there are so many viable answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were more of them when the hills were higher (when we were young).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I was young I used this way:

Subtract.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines