• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why can't i snap to grid accurately

Contributor ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i've seen a few threads about this from years ago and it seemed to be a real issue with a lot of people that, even with smart guides turned on things never seem to snap 100% accurately. I use a rectangular grid (not the default one, a custom made one) have snap to point/grid /glyph unchecked, and smart guides on. First of all, is there a setting to snap things to a custom grid?; rather than documnet grid, secondly, i've tried a few different smart guides preferences, but can never seem to stop smart guides from trying to snap to all the different shapes i've already made, rather than the custom grid, and thirdly even when i'm lucky enough to actually gert it snapping to the grid (which is rare) if i zoom in it's often not completely snapped, it's really frustrating, sometimes it's only by a few px, but pretty disconcerting knowing that it's probably the case for all of my anchor points, any help much appreciated

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is you doc in pixels? Are you item dimensions in pixels. Is your grid in pixels? You can't have a partial pixel...

Try turning off all the snaps and just have snap to grid turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes doc and dimensions are in px, i have all of the "snap to" options unchecked. And my grid is not the default doc grid, i made it with the rectangular grid tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you convert your custom grid to guides? And turn Smart Guides on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your custom grid locked? Or on a locked layer?

Just how dense is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welll i've converted it to guides, so locked in that sense, but no the layer isn't locked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh and it's 0.25 px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"oh and it's 0.25 px"

But isn't that a little bit of an invisible amount for humans?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know, i can see it, do you mean it needs to be thicker for snapping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly, is the distance between your guides 0,25 px?

If so at what zoom level do you work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, the grid (made witth the rectangular grid tool) is diamond shaped, about 73px wide, the stroke weight of the grid is 0.25, i've changed it to 1px to see if that helped, it didn't, depending on the size of the shape i'm drawing i zoom anywhere between 100%-300%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand it better now. Is a non rotated grid working better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems to be yes, but it'd be incredibly inconvenient if i had to design at an angle and then rotate it at the end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i could maybe rotate the entire document with the rotate view tool, but i imagine this can bring up it's own problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this the problem, there is no such thing as 0.25 of a pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A guide does not have a weight and is always displayed as 1 px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the grid at 0.25 px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so when the grid isn't rotated, it seems to snap fine, but otherwise the paths don't seem to know what to snap to, is there any way to make them snap to custom grids? would really appreciate any tips at all on this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines