Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I use Live Paint?

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Illustrator, but for a project I'm working on I've drawn a dragon using the pen tool. Now I want to use the live paint tool, however, after I select my dragon it won't let me "make" the live paint. I also can't expand, not sure if that's related.

I tested another simple drawing and was able to both expand and use live paint, so it must be something weird that I've done to my dragon.

I have a trial version of CS6.

Also attaching a screen cap.

Live paint problem.jpg
Thanks for any help/advice!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your drawing is a blody mess. Stray points/ segments, self intersecting paths and all the ingredients that make for a "bad" vector artwork. You need to spend time cleaning it up.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh okay, thanks! As I said fairly new to illustrator.
I see the stray points...Do you mind pointing out one of the problem areas? What is a self intersecting path...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luci,

What is a self intersecting path...?

8 is 1 (one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While all this stuff

Stray points/ segments, self intersecting paths and all the ingredients that make for a "bad" vector artwork

certainly should be corrected, it shouldn't keep you from making a live paint object. So there must be something else in this drawing. Please show the complete layer panel (expand the layer so it's visible. And please don't scale down your screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fullscreen capture 1082013 83919 AM.jpg

Oh sorry. I did that because it didn't fit.

But maybe I should just start over...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is the problem but try this: select all and from the flyout menu of the Appearance panel, choose Reduce to Basic Appearance. In my verion CS5 Illustrator does this automatically after showing a warning message for appearances like variable width strokes that your drawing has and are incompatible with Live Paint .

To keep the outlines with variable width strokes you can duplicate the layer on top, lock it, remove the stroke from all on the layer below and apply the Live Paint to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide a sample .ai file.

Otherwise it's mere speculation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have a empty text path that's not showing in your screenshot? It you do get rid of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you would really do better to start again.

Think of your drawing as a stack of closed paths (which, with Pathfinder, you can build up by uniting smaller units if it suits you better).

Sure, you CAN use Live Paint but you would do better to learn to do the job properly from the start (like Live Paint after expanding).

Not that Live Paint is exactly cheating but you will learn more by doing things the other, older, way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's what I did.
I'm learning on my own so I've been watching lots of tutorials, but sometimes it's hard to find the good info.
Going better now though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tutorials are good for beginners, but playing around on your own is also good and may help you advance faster. This will make you encounter more problems like the one you had and looking for the reasons and finding them will teach you to solve problems. Advanced users are working by solving problems all the time - they are not following tutorials. You will not find tutorials for everything you may need to create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

playing around on your own is also good and may help you advance faster.

Read the manual in addition to it, because there is a lot of stuff you will never find by just playing around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I disagree, I learn everything just playing around!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines