• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is illustrator CS6 omitting the spaces between words?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of the blue, my type tool has been acting funny in Illustrator CS6. Generally my text boxes or bounding boxes are outlined in blue. However, now they are black. I'm not sure what instigated the change. Now I am typing in illustrator and it won't show any spaces between words. Everythinglookslikethis. In the character pannel, the kerning is set to auto and tracking is set to 0. Does anyone know what is going on? What are these black text boxes of death?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

chatterville wrote:

Out of the blue, my type tool has been acting funny in Illustrator CS6. Generally my text boxes or bounding boxes are outlined in blue. However, now they are black. I'm not sure what instigated the change.

Creating a new layer changes its selection color. Look in the Layer's panel and double click the layer to change its color.

.. Now I am typing in illustrator and it won't show any spaces between words. Everythinglookslikethis. In the character pannel, the kerning is set to au

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chatterville wrote:

Out of the blue, my type tool has been acting funny in Illustrator CS6. Generally my text boxes or bounding boxes are outlined in blue. However, now they are black. I'm not sure what instigated the change.

Creating a new layer changes its selection color. Look in the Layer's panel and double click the layer to change its color.

.. Now I am typing in illustrator and it won't show any spaces between words. Everythinglookslikethis. In the character pannel, the kerning is set to auto and tracking is set to 0. Does anyone know what is going on? What are these black text boxes of death?

Not sure but, try changing the font.

You can also try the word spacing options in Justification from the flyout menu of the Paragraph panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I guess that means that the color of the text box does not determine the behavoir of the type inside it. Good to know. I'm now back to blue, but still having problems with the spaces. I am using times new roman.

Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 10.47.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried just quiting Illustrator, and opening it again? That would work for me when Photoshop used to do this from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older version of Illustrator that does this from time to time, the spacebar just stops working and I have to restart the program to get it working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok. It looks like it was the justification settings. The Desired Word Spacing was set to 80%. My guess is that it is supposed to be at 100%. That looks much better

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default is Minimum 80%, Desired 100%, Maximum 133%. If your settings were the same, most likely something else is affecting the spacing and changing these settings is compensating but with this settings the font should look fine.

In your screen shot the settings in the Character panel are for the space before the T where the insertion point is. Make sure the whole text is selected (highlighted) or press the Esc key on your keyboard to switch to object selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is in the Paragraph Panel.

1. Click Paragraph

2. Click the menu expand (top right)

3. Click the word Justification

4. The top line says "Word Spacing Minimum: 80%"

Change that to 100%

DONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved my problem in one second, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks YourDesignNinja.

Solved the issue. How does this happen to begin with?

Cheers!

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue. When I use some art files from customers. This will fix the type but if I open that art again, I have to do that step again before I can add new type. You would think after correcting the spacing it would stay corrected. This is a repeatable issue for over 6 years now. How do I get the spacing to stay fixed in these art files that I have to use repeatable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue and I have to set it from 80% to 100% every time. Adobe, do we permanently keep it at 100% !? It is so annoying to have to set it again every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👍 thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue in a Photoshop Text Box and it was something in the Paragraph settings (not sure what), so we selected "Reset Paragraph from the pull out menu and it's working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines