• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Window and panels moving when Mac goes to sleep

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac Mini M1 with 16GB and Big Sur 11.2.3, and am up to date on my Creative Cloud updates. About 25-30% of the time, when the computer goes to sleep, Illustrator will drop down about 1/5 of the way down the screen, as if I clicked the title bar and dragged it down the screen. When this happens, some of my panels will move around as well and I have to reset my workspace. Also, the grey space around the artboard shimmers when I move my cursor and the little popup window urging me to click and learn more about new features will have the font size reduced about 60%. All this happens with both Illustrator and Photoshop (the only Adobe apps I use regularly.) I usually end up quitting and restarting the program, and resetting my workspace. Oddly, all this doesn't happen EVERY time the computer sleeps, but it does happen fairly often, and is very annoying. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to share that the product team has resolved this issue in version 28.1. I've personally tested it and couldn't replicate the problem. Would you all mind installing this version from the CCDA and informing us if it resolves the issue on your end?

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 289 Replies 289
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange - have you tried replicating this buy just turning your monitor off then back on. The second I do this Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop all move off the bottom of the screen as soon as turned back on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does happen if I turn the monitor off and on. But it also happens if I work for an hour or two without using Photoshop. This is the only app I use that behaves like this. It doesn't happen with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to comment to add to the list of people experiencing this problem.

If my M1 Mac Mini goes to sleep and/or I turn off my external monitor then both Photoshop and Illustrator will have moved down, half off the bottom of the screen in the left corner. Also when using Illustrator after this happens the grey window background flickers until I close the document and open again; which is really not ideal.

I am fully up-to-date on Creative Suite and Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are couple of threads on the Apple forums about the issue such as:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253157591

And on Stack Exchange: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/437994/windows-move-to-different-displays-and-spaces-whene...

And it seems that this is not a new problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3492902

As long as it doesn't happen in TextEdit, Apple might not be interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything Adobe can(or will) do about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been over a year since my original post, and no sign of Adobe addressing the issue. It's definitely an Adobe problem, as this doesn't happen with any other programs I'm running. I'd love for Adobe to do something about it, but I'm not holding my breath. One commenter said they hide the Adobe programs while they're away from the computer, and that seems to be a workaround, albeit an annoying one that I don't always remember to do. (Basically, switch to any non-Adobe program that you have running, and select "Hide Others" from that program's main menu.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say we just make a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that this is affecting Mac OS generally (even with Apple's own applications). So probably not a lot that Adobe can do about it: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252568640

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've(as well as others in this thread) only had this issue specifically with Adobe applications. Can we please not have this issue marked as "solved", because it isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And obviously other people had it with other apps as well (just read the Apple forum ...).

If you want to bring stuff to the engineers' attention, you better use: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

That's where they read.

Some issues are just difficult to solve, particularly when the operating system interferes.And it gets difficult when it only happens under certain conditions. So the more precise you describe your conditions, the better. And if they cannot reproduce it with their tech, it will be close to impossible to solve.

I don't know who marks things as solved - I don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, I incorrectly addressed you as Adobe support. I do really appreciate the time you have taken to reply to this thread. Thank you.

I'll use the link you provided to contact adobe regarding the issue. 

While there may be some varying conditions, it does appear that the one common factor is that the issue happens with external monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you for replying to this. Yes I do have a MacBook Pro M1 and this
problem does not happen there. Apparently this happens when there is an
external monitor is attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The post above links to a thread in which other people report this happening with other programs. That it doesn't happen to you is not really useful. It seems pretty obvious from other comments around the web that this is an Apple problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the same issue as Adobe users are reporting here, that is an Apple issue to do with a laptops with external screen and sleep, which on waking applications not remembering which display there were on and that issue was 16 months ago. Therefore you're comment "is not really useful." and is passing the buck from Adobe, which is the only software exhibiting this beahviour on M1 macs with external monitors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had all sorts of problems since switching to the M1 Mini with Monterey, several connected to the display. I can't absolve Apple of any responsibility when there were earlier issues relative to similar situations, and my current situation. FWIW, Apple was never able to solve the display problems and I had to buy a different display and take a beating on one that was less than nine months old. The new one works better but occasionally has issues with sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see from the comments in this thread, a lot of People are experiencing this issue specifically with Adobe apps-hence the need to address the problem in the Adobe forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re windows repositioning: the fact that it doesn't happen with either InDesign or Acrobat Pro DC is telling and implies Adobe are at least partly to blame for the issue. As for the flicker, there is no indication that this issue is down to anyone else but Adobe.

As Adobe support rarely contribute to or take notice of the Support Community, the best route to getting this fixed is to file bug reports for both issues in Illustrator and the window repositioning after sleep issue in Photoshop: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html ('wishform' as in we wish you'd get off your backsides and get this sorted, I guess).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to say it doesn't seem to be the mac sleeping that's the issue, although when it sleeps the monitor will follow and that is the problem. Try just turning your monitor off and then back on without the mac sleeping, for me the apps all move just doing this and yes illustrator also then flickers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 2 weeks into a mac studio M1 Ultra and this issue is really impacting me now.   I thought it would be easy to fix but nothing seems to be working - Illustrator Reset, Display Maid, rebooting etc.  Every time my system goes to sleep, my Illustrator workspace awakes looking like a yard sale; taking time to reset by hand.   Saved workspaces within Illustrator do not seem to stick or manage the workspace across both screens.    Wondering if anyone has been able to identify an effective solution?

Setup:  Mac Studio M1 / MacOS Monterey 12.3.1

Samsung 2160p/4K UHD 1 + Wacom 22HD - both connected vis USBC

Help Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh, I'm having the same problem. Thanks for asking the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I have no answers for this, merely adding a plus-1 to this thread.  I am running Monterey on a new Mac Studio with M1 Max,  64Gb/2Tb.  I'm having the moving-menu issue on a BenQ PD3200U monitor.  Also it happens on a BenQ 2700U monitor:

When the CPU wakes from sleep, Photoshop and Illustrator menus are all stashed up in the upper left corner halfway off the screen, and the main window is parked halfway past the bottom of it.  (This is Adobe CC 2022.)  No other apps behave this way, so I can't figure it's a monitor issue, or an OS problem.  Also, it's not the preferences files—I've replaced those and nothing was improved.

Notable is that when I was recently running Catalina and Adobe CC 2021 on these same two monitors using an 2013 Mac Pro and also a 2018 Macbook Pro, this problem did NOT occur.  

Saving workspaces in either Photoshop or Illustrator provides zero help toward correcting the menus after they've run amok.    The only solution is to move each menu individually to the place it belongs.  Really a time-wasting nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to say that Indesign does the same too. Whereas other Abobe CC products dont and nor does any other app. Illustrator also ahs the flickering pasteboard after waking too. My only solution is to use magnet to send app to certain areas and I have a macro set to a button my mouse so I can get everything back to where it should be after a sleep. Not ideal. Wish they would fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. As of now, I just got to reset the current workspace I'm using. I'd really wish Adobe or Apple would address this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2022 and this issue is still happening to me. M1 Studio and Updated Creative Suite, two external LG monitors. My work around is to hide all the programs that move before putting the cumputer to sleep. Chrome, Illustrator and Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, at least that's low maintainence work around for now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines