• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Window and panels moving when Mac goes to sleep

Participant ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an issue with Adobe apps while using Mac M1 with an external monitor. When put in sleep, the windows and palettes move to the bottom half of the screen. 

There are comments on this thread that confirm

this is an issue with specifically Adobe apps(illustrator, photoshop and indesign at least):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/window-and-panels-moving-when-mac-goes-to-sle...

please, Adobe support, address this issue.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to share that the product team has resolved this issue in version 28.1. I've personally tested it and couldn't replicate the problem. Would you all mind installing this version from the CCDA and informing us if it resolves the issue on your end?

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This beta update does not appear to make further improvements from the previous beta for me. 
For me, if my computer goes to sleep, upon waking, the windows are never where I left them, however resetting the workspace does function to quickly repostion them, so that along is a huge time saver.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sean244445328298,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I understand that the beta update hasn't fully resolved the issue with Windows and panels moving after your Mac goes to sleep for you. Resetting the workspace helps, but we want to ensure this issue is completely resolved and you don't have to rely on workarounds.

To better assist you, could you please confirm the exact version of the Illustrator beta you're using? You can check this by going to the menu and selecting "Illustrator (beta)" and then "About."

Anshul_Saini_1-1690495073812.png

Additionally, I'd suggest trying to reset preferences for the beta version. You can do this by going to Preferences > General and clicking "Reset Preferences."

Anshul_Saini_0-1690495024333.png

If the issue persists, please consider sharing a screen recording of the problem using your phone or any other method. This will help us understand the issue better and enable us to forward it to the product team for further review, as I tried the prerelease and beta version (27.9.21) of Illustrator and couldn't replicate the issue at my end.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we'll do our best to help you resolve this.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

27.9 21

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I work in Illustrator(Beta) version 27.9.29

The issue remains.  If my Macbook Pro M1 goes to sleep, upon waking, the windows are not where I left them. However in this current Beta version the windows are less extremely scattered then in the version I worked before.
I did reset the preferences in this betta version.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, @Sean244445328298 and @Wouter Pardaens, for installing the beta and investigating the issue. To further assist the product team, could you kindly share a screen recording using your phones? Please include the Ai version you were using during the recording. I will make sure to forward this valuable information to the product team for their review.

Additionally, it would be helpful if you could provide some setup details, such as the number of monitors you are using and their resolutions, as well as the specifications of your Mac device.

We truly appreciate your patience and cooperation in helping us address this matter.

Note: I was initially facing the same issue, but after installing the beta & prerelease versions, I can no longer reproduce it on my M1 Max Mac connected to a 2k display monitor.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious if there is any progress on this.  I just upgraded to a new M1 mini and everytime I open my programs from sleep, the panels aren't where I left them.  Any fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this image, you can see where they should be, and where they go when I use the Window>workspace>reset option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illlustrator Beta Mocckup.. Probelems creating it. I want to send the AI file for you guys to check!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

The product team has tried addressing the issue in v27.8. However, the issue is reproducible in some use cases and not entirely fixed. I've already communicated your concerns to both Illustrator & Photoshop product teams.

The product teams have requested some additional information to better understand the problem:

1. The exact version and build of Illustrator you are using (Beta/ prerelease/ GA)
  2. Details about your macOS version, including system specifications.
  3. Please confirm if only panels are moving or if both windows and panels are affected after waking your system from sleep or disconnecting/ reconnecting the monitor after updating to v27.8.
  4. Does putting your Mac to sleep and turning off the monitor yield the same behavior for both panels and windows in Illustrator, or do you notice any differences after updating to v27.8.?
  5.  What is the resolution of your monitor, and does the panels/ Ai window fly to the right side or to another screen after waking your system from sleep or disconnecting/ reconnecting the monitor?

Your cooperation in providing this information will greatly assist the product team in their investigation. We're committed to finding a solution to this issue, and your feedback is crucial in helping us achieve that.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M2 mac - 2 months old, running Ventura 13.4, 16 gb of ram.

Illustrator 27.7

Indesign 18.4

I've tried switching the monitors with each other and tried other monitors.  Photoshop is the absolute worst of the programs.  Just switching to another app and coming back will cause all panels to pile up on the top left corner.  Indesign just moves everything to main monitor after sleeping.  This is very annoying.  Thank you for working on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry didn't see there's a new update.  I'll try them and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Jonas31435280lyn0,

Thank you for providing the details of your setup and the issues you're facing with Illustrator and other Adobe applications on your M2 Mac. It's certainly frustrating when the user interface and panels don't behave as expected.

I see that you're planning to try the new updates that have been released.

If you continue to experience these problems even after updating in Illustrator & Photoshop, please don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Please note that InDesign still has to provide a fix for this. So please update & check with Photoshop v24.7 & Illustrator v27.8.1 and share your observations & details asked above with us.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it's still doing it in photoshop, illustrator and indesign.  I have to manually move them everytime I go to use the programs now.  Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to share that the product team has resolved this issue in version 28.1. I've personally tested it and couldn't replicate the problem. Would you all mind installing this version from the CCDA and informing us if it resolves the issue on your end?

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did update, the issue seemed to have gone for a while, but now it's back. Especially when I drop a file onto the Photoshop icon in the dock. The app shifts to the bottom left of the screen every time. All apps still have tool- and dialogue windows appearing on the macbook screen, rather than on the monitor where I have the app open. InDesign opens on the wrong screen AND I have to alt-scale the window, because the traffic light buttons are behind the menu bar every time. 

It's getting really frustrating. The apps sometimes stop responding, before I realize there is a dialogue window on the other screen that needs to be clicked.

I'm on an m2 max macbook pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @robind1812,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind sharing more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3RR93EM), so we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I'm still having the problem. I don't have a screen recording app, but I'm using Illustrator 28.1 and macOS 14.2.1 on a Mac Studio with an M1 Max processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ndelcastillo,

I'm sorry to hear that the problem persists. Would you mind sharing a few details like:

• External Display make & model and resolution
    • Confirm if "Application Frame" is turned on or off.
    • Record the issue using your phone or use an inbuilt screen recorder (QuickTime) or share screenshots of before & after.

These will help us gather more information about the issue and narrow down potential causes.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is most definitely not resolved.  It still happens in every adobe program the second it goes to sleep.  It's beyond annoying.  I wish I never upgraded, because I have to redo all my panels 10 times a day.  Indesign seems to be the worst effected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jonas31435280lyn0,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with windows and panels moving when your Mac goes to sleep, even after the recent update. To further assist you, could you please provide the following information:

• What version of Adobe Illustrator are you currently using?
  • The display resolution settings on your Mac.
  • A brief recording (if possible) of how the windows and panels behave when your Mac wakes from sleep.

This information will help us understand the issue's specifics and assist you more effectively. Thank you!

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to the chorus, it happens with my setup as well:

Adobe Photoshop Elements 24.0

Mac Mini M2 Pro 32 GB

Sonoma 14.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @espressomac,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's valuable to have users report similar issues to better understand the scope and potential solutions.

I recommend posting your concern on the Adobe Photoshop Elements community forums. This will allow other users and the Photoshop Elements team to see your post, share insights, and provide assistance. Additionally, it increases the visibility of the issue for the relevant product team to address.

If you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with, feel free to let me know.

Best,

Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that all my adobe app windows and panels need to be repositioned every time my mac wakes from sleep.  I have had two computers with this problem for three years.  Every update I hope you resolve it.  It's ridiculous that Adobe and Apple can't work this out.  NONE of my other apps, 3rd party or Apple native have this issue.  All my adobe apps do this. 

System specs are M2 Mac Studio and Apple studio display with all software totally updated as of Mar 1 2024.

and M1 Mac Studio with Apple studio display also completely updated software.

Let me know if you would like a video of all the Adobe Apps completely failing to retain their positions through a Mac sleep cycle.  It's ridiculously easy to replicate because it happens every time.

Interestingly, if they are sent through two sleep cycles without being fixed, they will be even more out of alignment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. 
What on earth is Adobe doing differently than every other applications on my mac, and why can't they identify and fix this? At least the Workspaces, for me, will reset them, but how is this still an issue for expensive software to feel like an unsupported shareware app in this regard? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Otto31712997jjkw and @Sean244445328298,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I completely understand your frustration with the window and panel repositioning problem in Adobe apps upon waking from sleep on your Macs.

Our engineering team is actively investigating this issue, and we're continuously working to find a resolution. The team has tried to release multiple fixes for different scenarios where this issue occurs. Your feedback and documentation of the problem are incredibly valuable for our investigation.

If you could provide a video recording demonstrating the issue, along with details about the scenarios in which it occurs (such as waking up from sleep, turning on/off the monitor or studio display, etc.), it would greatly assist our engineering team in diagnosing and resolving the issue.

Please also include screenshots of your system specifications, including the operating system version and the version of Adobe Illustrator you're using.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we work to address this issue. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines