• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

work space window issue

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I go to File>Open and try to find a file, the files/folders are not fitting to my screen... They go off to the side and when I use Columns or Cover Flow to look at my projects they are way off to the right-hand side and I can't see them to tell which one I need. VERY annoying and it's been like this for awhile! Can't seem to find a solution!!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

please show screenshots, your topic title and description are not descriptive enough to figure out what is happening and how to help you. thanks

Moderator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.03.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.03.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.04.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

notice how they are way off to the right, need help getting them to where I can see them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried moving the window to the left then resizing the right edge? Those columns are moveable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no area for me to move the column over... I tried and then it just goes back to how it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. Grab the top area of the window and move the entire window to the left til you can see the right edge.

2. Resize the window which will shift the last column.

3. Move window back to center.

OR

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 4.07.09 PM.png

Just try clicking the Green Maximize/Min button on the top left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 8.32.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika is right - this is an Apple issue. The steps I outlined worked as expected so something else is causing your window to snap outside of your monitor area.

Have you recently updated your OS?

Have you tried changing your monitor resolution or scale?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The interesting thing here is your Cancel and Open buttons are positioned properly.

Here's my last ditch help:

Can you resize the window from the bottom left corner?

Try right clicking in the open area and sorting by name or date - see if they shuffle into view.

If nothing else works you may need to reach out to an Apple users forum for assistance as I am at a loss as to why you are having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 8.34.54 AM.pngEven when I do that it still goes back to the same thing that I started with I don't Know what else to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that an issue that would be better discussed in some Apple forum?

And there will even be a quicker solution.

Anyway: you haven't even told us about your system and setup? Is there one monitor? 2? 3? A Wacom Cintiq or similar? Or was there recently?

When was your last system restart?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it wouldn't be better discussed in an Apple forum because it doesn't happen in the actual finder application just through Illustrator.

Currently running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5. I only have one monitor and I have no clue what Wacom Cintiq is.. My system restarts daily because this is my work computer and it gets shut off at night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is Illustrator CC2017 (the most recent version you can have on that system)?

I can't reproduce the issue on the same system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point - what version of Illustrator are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CS6, cannot update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to let any existing document window behave again, alt-click the green button in the top left. It will probably snuggly fit into your screen's real estate again. Please do use that alt key, to prevent many windows and applications to go into full screen mode. (Yeah, I hate that too...)

To let any auxiliary windows (panels) in Illustrator behave again, it's often good enough to Reset your current Workspace (under the Windows menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter- Please see the OP this has to do with the open dialog box not a work space or panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kstohlmeyer1  schreef

Peter- Please see the OP this has to do with the open dialog box not a work space or panels.

Rats – you're right ! Sorry for the mix-up.

But now that it's clearer to me, I remember having had such a mishap as well.

Changing the system's resolution to something else and back again helped me !

Keep Illustrator open while doing this, and if it doesn't help, trash its preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I change the resolution???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for the Screen settings in the System Preferences. Change it to anything (scaled) and back again. Or disconnect/reconnect some screen. Anything which will force the system to re-calibrate its size, and tell open applications to respond to that change. This might kick Illustrator's probably corrupted or misinterpreted setting back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines