Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient text on iPad in AI

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! 
Please help, I'm having trouble trying to add gradient color to text in Adobe Illustrator on iPad. I did it once, but can't seem to do it again. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Been trying to figure it out all day! I select the text, press color, then gradient doesn't show up like it does when nothing is selected.

[ moved from Illustrator to Illustrator on the iPad forum by moderator ]

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

You have to outline the text first in Illustrator on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Only thing you can do is make a clipping mask over a rectangle that has the gradient. Delete the fill color from the text before you do that to avoid ugly borders.

Or outline the text, but then it's no longer editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to outline the text first in Illustrator on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this does not work either, can we have someone look into this? I go to color and the gradient option is not available but if i make i shape it is. And yes, I have converted to outlines, and i ave tried multiple fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple things you must do to create gradient text.

1. Create the text.

2. Outline the text.

3. Select the text group, open the color picker, and choose gradient (at the top next to solid color, see screen shot below). Then choose the gradient type (linear, radial, mesh).

4. Select the group to see all the gradient stop controls, or choose the individual letters from the layers panel to see one at a time.

5. Alternately: Ungroup the object. After ungrouping, select all the letters and make a single compound path to create one entity that is the entire word.This would allow you to have one gradient across the full word, rather than a separate gradient for each letter.

0995F5A3-1EB5-4702-824B-0E9513D8320B.jpeg

screenshot 2022-03-19 at 6.37.08 pm.png

screenshot 2022-03-19 at 6.57.24 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I running into this same issue as the user above. I've tried both methods and as soon as I click on the color wheel, the gradient will pop up to half a second then it disappears completely. Any other advice? Is is a glitch for this version?  I've been struggling all day with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help, I too am having the exact same difficulties and have followed the steps outlined above -to no avail 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help, I too am having the exact same difficulties and have followed the steps outlined above -to no avail 😞

By @Algebruh

Please tell us what exactly you have done and what exactly does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue, meaning that the gradient option literally does not show up when I click Fill. F5497D11-200E-4E2D-811E-4D53200EE9A8.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have selected a text? Can you please show us the whole picture and tell us about that object? What is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been resolved? I am still having trouble applying gradient to my text...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing you can do is make a clipping mask over a rectangle that has the gradient. Delete the fill color from the text before you do that to avoid ugly borders.

Or outline the text, but then it's no longer editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This answer! Thanks, I too was having trouble with the gradient tool. This is a very simple non distructive solution. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me some fooling around, but I've found a way to do. I'm sure there is an easier way this is supposed to be done, so if anyone knows, please help. 

First, Outline Text, then Release compound Path. Next you have to highlight each individual letter and create compound path. The Gradient option exists now for the individual letters. If you want one Gradient across the entire word. Instead of across each inividial letter, just filled the first letter with the Gradient you want, then highlight all the letters you wish, then tap on click compound path and the whole word should be filled the Gradient. 
Hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so stupid, when you google it there are these youtube videos that make it look so easy. This was a step backwards. Fix please 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue, meaning that the gradient option literally does not show up when I click Fill.

By @Ali281284135drx

Ali, you are displaying "Swatches". Expand the "Color Wheel" section and the Gradient option you are looking for will show up in the upper right. See Michael's screenshot earlier where he circled "Gradient" or look at this one.

janee_0-1679093230896.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines