• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get a transparent background in illustrator on iPad?

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot figure how to change the the 'art board' to transparent on the iPad version of illustrator! Just need a logo with a transparent background. Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

When you export as aPNG, it is transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export as aPNG, it is transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my first time using Adobe Illustrator. I'm working with an iPad Pro, and my client wants the vector file to have a transparent background and wants the file to be in .ai so they can make their own edits. Any help would be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try "Quick export as AI"? Vector files do not have background by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me. Trying to save as PNG with background set on transparent and it saves the whole white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter25711337ject 

Please show a screen shot of your image in Illustrator for iPad and include your layers (as below). What are your exact steps to Export (not Save) to PNG?

If you don't have transparency in your document, saving it as a PNG will not create transparency. It has to be there. I'm guessing one or more of your layers does not have transparency.

Jane

196DC5EB-98C8-4FD4-8F61-BB07ABB71B00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, steps to Export are: Export > Publish and Export >  Export as > Format: PNG > Background: Transparent

5C2450DB-7A1E-4DCE-A594-062B47C2613D.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Peter25711337ject 

Your Layers panel says "Test Image". It appears to be an image with black text and a white background. There is no transparency and exporting to png cannot create something that is not there.

• Delete the image that fills your artboard and type some text with the Type tool.
    or
  • Resize the image smaller (Selection tool) so you have transparency.

Export to PNG again.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's a layer with white background - you cannot see it in the layer thumbnail @jane-e 

I cannot reproduce the issue @Peter25711337ject 
IMG_03A909C1F7C4-1.jpegIMG_135C73E75AE7-1.jpeg

I created an identical document. The PNG exported has no background:
Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 22.06.40.png

How are you viewing your PNG? You need to have something underneath to "see" the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi both, this is how I see the picture when exporting it. I am doing something wrong because I managed to get the transparent background for a few times but I cannot figure out the issue. 51860624-0C40-4AF9-9512-74A6B7C6D073.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image looks as if you have a fill in the text box. Be sure to choose the circle with a red line through it for both fill and stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd un-install/re-install the AI to see it'll get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking your image has white as a fill instead of no fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultr09tlxzbcxp0 

Can you attach your Illustrator file so we can test it?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try setting the view to transparency mode. This was the only way I could get a transparent background. I would  export as PNG with no other layers, select transparent background, select to export on the selection but always got a white background. Finally tried the view mode and it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines