• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to move anchor points stepless?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I move an anchorpoint in Illustrator for iPad it only does so in visible steps and not continuously like in Illustrator on Mac - even though I switched off all guides, rasters, rulers etc. I could find.

How do I switch that off? 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Pc and iPad, it looks and feels like anchor points move very similarly on both devices to me.

There is no way to set incremental steps on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac and iPad and no matter if I turn off any helpers like grids or rulers the anchors only move in 0,35mm steps. It prevents me from alligning anchors on files imported from Illustrator on Mac. It's annoying and renders the app near useless for me. I don't have the same issue in Vectornator or Affinity Designer on iPad and it sucks because I'd like to stay a happy loyal Illustrator user. Does anyone know how to get rid of this?! I can't be the only one with this #+$§§""## issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it's actually 0,18mm steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on iPad pro.
If those steps are big, you may not have turned off "Snapping"  in the "presicion" menu along the right side of the screen. Personal experience 😳.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of that before I asked here. I've been working with Adobe programs and especially Illustrator since the mid 90s, so that has been the first I tried. I've also searched for some deeper preferences options and didn't find any. The steps seem to vary a bit depending on how much I zoom, but they are still obvious steps and far from fluent and continuous. It feels like it snaps to some invisible pixel grid instead of working with vectors. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on iPad Pro 12,9" with M1 Chip now, and I still have tiny steps it snaps to when I move an anchor point. All options in "Precision" are switched off. The steps distance gets smaller the more i zoom in, but it remains "steppy". And still its obvious in comparison to Vectornator oder Affinity Designer. Same as on my previous iPad. Why doesn't anyone else have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the same behavior. If I set my units to mm and zoom in close, I can get similar increments to what you described. The snapping distance seems to depend on the zoom level, which is strange. By zoomin in closer, I could get the snapping increments to about 0,09mm. It is basically behaving like a "Nudge" function.

I took a video, but have to convert it to another format before I post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm quite relieved I'm not the only one. Hope this gets fixed really soon - it's really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's the video example, converted from MOV to GIF:

AI Move Demo.GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this too, and I'm also wondering why the coordinates label shows up even when smart guides (and any other snapping preferences) are turned off. I would expect that to not show up with smart guides off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One year later and I still have this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines