• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator for iPad: When I change stroke size it changes all my previous stroke sizes

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was drawing with the paintbrush tool and I found a brush I really like. So I make it a tad thicker for my outlines (10pt) but when I want to change the stroke size down to 5pt to do some fine detail work, it changes all my previous 10pt strokes to 5 pt. 

Is there a setting I could adjust to stop this from happening?

Thanks,

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

I ran into this issue as well. brush sizes cannot be changed. it's a bizarre issue to exist in an illustrator app.

There is an uservoice page too with people asking for it, forever.

Changing Brush Stroke weight/width changes every other brush stroke in a document – Adobe Illustrator (uservoice.com)

Hope this gets fixed. 

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Illustrator for iPad forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richardc7345762 

How are you changing the Stroke width and which brush are you using?

I tested with the Selection tool and the widget at the bottom of the path and that method changed only the one.

In Illustrator for desktop, when you modify a brush and click okay you get an alert asking if you want to change just this one instance or all paths using the brush. I tried modifying the brush and did not get that alert on the iPad version. It simply changed all instances. The brush I tested did not have size in the options.

Illustrator for desktop also has a control in the Brushes panel to change options for the selected paths. I don't see that in the iPad version.

Quite honestly, though, for me — when I need to have modifications such as a new width, I make a new brush. I love the default method that modifying a brush immediately updates all paths using that brush. I do think that having choices is a good idea.

I'll test again when you answer my first question. You might want to make a feature request to the Adobe team:
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/931888-illustrator-ipad-feature-requests

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

While I'm drawing in Illustrator for the iPad, I'll start off using the 5pt oval calligraphic brush. When I want a finer brush for details, I'll use the slider to make that brush smaller to say 3pt. This will change all my previous 5pt lines on my canvas to change to 3pt even though I wanted them to remain at 5pt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

That's how brushes work in Illustrator for desktop as well. Make a new brush when you want new attributes. There are two things missing in the iPad version:

• a button for "options for the selected brush"
  • the a dialog with the option to not update all paths with the new attributes

Both of these features were introduced several years ago — they weren't always there.

Feature requests can be made at the above link.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Actually, you're wrong about that. I have been using the Desktop version for years inking my comic book and I pick one brush and change the point size for different parts of my illustrations. This does not affect all the previous strokes I made with that same brush at different point sizes. (See attached pic, all the strokes the same brush at different point sizes)

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 5.10.04 PM.png
I just hope in future updates for the iPad this will be corrected. I also hope for being able to click on a stroke on an in-progress illustration and having the AI pick up all the attributes of that brush so I can resume where I left off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this issue as well. brush sizes cannot be changed. it's a bizarre issue to exist in an illustrator app.

There is an uservoice page too with people asking for it, forever.

Changing Brush Stroke weight/width changes every other brush stroke in a document – Adobe Illustrato...

Hope this gets fixed. 

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has just 27 votes. You need to upvote it if you want that improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will do so. I have a new project that requires illustrator on iPad, so, yeah, this needs to happen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines