• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A way to create a menu tab from the "scripts" command?

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have too many scripts, and now I'm finding it a hassle to hover to File > Scripts all the time. I was wondering if there is a way to create a separate menu just for scripts? Here's how the script command looks right now.

Untitled.png

As you can see, it's just a long vertical list of scripts I have that stretches out to the bottom. What I want is for it to look like the Alignment Tab, which is designed to be more optimized, or something like that! A separate menu that can be dragged around like this helps me much more.

Untitled 1.png

Thank you for your time! 

TOPICS
Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

A couple of thoughts:

• In the Scripts folder you can create subfolders which will be displayed as submenus in the Scripts menu. This may help you to organize your scripts.

• It would certainly take some time to set up, but in current versions of Illustrator you may create action sets in the Actions palette. With the Insert Menu Item command (see Actions palette flyout menu) you can include scripts from the Scripts menu and execute them with actions. Note that this route may not reliably work

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry, Illustrator has no such ability, You cannot add menu tab in the Illustrator. You can read the following thread which discussed the same thing.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-add-in-item-to-menu-of-illustrator-to-activate-scr...

But there is a away to achieve this, If you know CEP development (HTML/CSS panels). Then you can create your own panel and use separate icon for each script (as in Align panel) for invoking the script.

Read about more CEP devleopment

https://github.com/Adobe-CEP/CEP-Resources

There are lots of examples here to start.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of thoughts:

• In the Scripts folder you can create subfolders which will be displayed as submenus in the Scripts menu. This may help you to organize your scripts.

• It would certainly take some time to set up, but in current versions of Illustrator you may create action sets in the Actions palette. With the Insert Menu Item command (see Actions palette flyout menu) you can include scripts from the Scripts menu and execute them with actions. Note that this route may not reliably work in older versions of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have way too many scripts!!! seriously, how often do you use the Dance or Fractalize scripts? 

I suggest you limit the number of script to only the ones you use the most. The rest can go on a separate folder that you can access pressing "Other Scripts..." button.

or you can press Alt+F, R, then the first letter of the script's name.

for example, Alt+F, R, D to execute the Dance script

That works on Windows, not sure if it work on macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would rather agree with you, Carlos. There are a lot of scripts in the menu.

On the other hand, if one often combines actions with scripts – including the ones you generously provide from time to time – it may be pretty beneficial to store as many scripts as desired in the Scripts menu.

By the way, there is another panel based approach called LAScripts (see https://ladygin.pro/products/lascripts/).

Unfortunately I could not manage to properly install it on Mac OS with the latest version of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on PC or Mac?

Keyboard Maestro is a Mac-only automation tool that could be used to build such a menu. I use it extensively for production art automation. I assign shortcuts to all kinds of scripts, run them from floating panels or run them automatically based on variables. 

Here's a sample floating panel with icons representing scripts. It can be set to auto-hide or remain floating.

rcraighead_0-1598390134586.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the screenshot in the initial post, yn is using the Windows version of Illustrator, Ray.

However, using Keyboard Maestro is a very good recommendation nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the info! The second project works perfectly! 🙂 You saved my life here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines