• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An evenly spaced board game path

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I'm looking to create a simple board game path like a Ludo or Snakes and Ladders board but the board needs to be twisty like a race track and the squares need to be evenly spaced. My first thought was to create a brush and apply that to path, which worked pretty well, but now I've found out that there need to be a set amount of squares on the path.

Any ideas how to do this? It would like something like, but better than, this:

example.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Mark,

As I (mis)understand it, you may:

1) Create the race track as a stroke/nofill path with a Stroke Weight equalling the width of the outer bounds of the race track (40 or something) and the colour of the outer line set (black maybe);

2) In the Appearance palette flyout click Add New Stroke with a Stroke Weight equalling the width of the inner part (the squares) of the race track (30 or something) and the colour of the outer line set (white maybe);

3) In the Appearance palette flyout click Add Ne

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

As I (mis)understand it, you may:

1) Create the race track as a stroke/nofill path with a Stroke Weight equalling the width of the outer bounds of the race track (40 or something) and the colour of the outer line set (black maybe);

2) In the Appearance palette flyout click Add New Stroke with a Stroke Weight equalling the width of the inner part (the squares) of the race track (30 or something) and the colour of the outer line set (white maybe);

3) In the Appearance palette flyout click Add New Stroke with the same Stroke Weight as in 2) (30 or something) and the colour of the dividing lines, same as the outer line set (black maybe), then tick Dashed LIne and set the Dash to the desired dividing line thickness (5 or something) and set the Gap to the Stroke Weight (30 or something).

With the figures given (in some unit which could be mm), you will get a path with 30 x 30 (more or less depending on curvature) squares with bounding lines that are 5. You can try that to get a first impression, and choose the right proporties as desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good solution!

track.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a nice colouring, Kris.

And you leave it to Mark to work out how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expanded the shape and released the compound path into individual shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too expanded the appearance to color the shapes

Boardgame colo.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I want to play Mario Kart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a good feature request:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or measure the length of the path, divide it by the number of rectangles needed, create a patten brush.

Boardgame.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another nice way, Ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what I did was, I made a brush using 40 squares then applied it to my path. This seemed to work ok but I think I prefer the stroke option. If the client comes back and wants the path adjusted I want the simplest quickest solution.

Thanks, guys, you made my first post a real winner!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW—this brings back great memories of my childhood years when we would invent our own board games and play them for hours. I wish we had saved the boards and the rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity: you can also get that without having to expand the stroke:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-23 um 15.39.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jacob! I actually went with your technique in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with the game, Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for this post and your replies. I used this information to successfully put a timeline graphic together with some very specific client requests. This would have been impossible, or much more time consuming to create manually or with a different method.

2018-09_CTLA_Rutgers_Kraft_Presentation_Slides_Pyramid_Triangle_Timeline_Disruptive_Innovation_Timeline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bschuk​,

It’s beautiful—thanks for sharing the finished product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines