Highlighted

Can't save: "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to save a file this dialog window keeps popping up, it says "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder." I'm using windows 10 with the latest version of Illustrator CCAdobe Illustrator.png

Correct answer by PedroC17 | Community Beginner

What I did was to quit backup and sync from google, every time that message showed I quitted and it worked perfectly. Not sure if that can help you but that did it for me. Working at the same time in one file in different computers seems to make conflicted files, so try to avoid doing work at the same time maybe having a version control system for each co-worker can help you out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't save: "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to save a file this dialog window keeps popping up, it says "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder." I'm using windows 10 with the latest version of Illustrator CCAdobe Illustrator.png

Correct answer by PedroC17 | Community Beginner

What I did was to quit backup and sync from google, every time that message showed I quitted and it worked perfectly. Not sure if that can help you but that did it for me. Working at the same time in one file in different computers seems to make conflicted files, so try to avoid doing work at the same time maybe having a version control system for each co-worker can help you out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to save your file with a different filename or in a different area. OR double check that your file is not open in a different application such as Acrobat. Also, if you saved this as a PDF file and opened that PDF from your finder window if the file is still selected it won't let you save. See example:

Make sure the file name is no longer highlighted in blue. Then try saving again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I change the name and the area it comes up again and again, every time I save the same file. Is not a used by any other program, in fact, I only have illustrator open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try saving as an .eps?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With .eps works, I can save everything as usual

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!! Thank you for saving my life.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I'm teamleader in creative cloud. My collegues don't have any problems with saving illustrator files in creative cloud files. This problem started this week out of nowhere. If I work local on my computer I can save files. But everything in creative cloud files I can,t save (same notice as above picture) only file save as and overwrite work. Also there are lot files now conflicted files. Because i work in a team we have to work with ai files and not eps. Is there any other sollution. I tryed a lot and I'm really frustrated.

Hope someone can help me out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines