• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save: "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to save a file this dialog window keeps popping up, it says "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder." I'm using windows 10 with the latest version of Illustrator CCAdobe Illustrator.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

What I did was to quit backup and sync from google, every time that message showed I quitted and it worked perfectly. Not sure if that can help you but that did it for me. Working at the same time in one file in different computers seems to make conflicted files, so try to avoid doing work at the same time maybe having a version control system for each co-worker can help you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to save your file with a different filename or in a different area. OR double check that your file is not open in a different application such as Acrobat. Also, if you saved this as a PDF file and opened that PDF from your finder window if the file is still selected it won't let you save. See example:

Make sure the file name is no longer highlighted in blue. Then try saving again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I change the name and the area it comes up again and again, every time I save the same file. Is not a used by any other program, in fact, I only have illustrator open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try saving as an .eps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With .eps works, I can save everything as usual

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!! Thank you for saving my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I'm teamleader in creative cloud. My collegues don't have any problems with saving illustrator files in creative cloud files. This problem started this week out of nowhere. If I work local on my computer I can save files. But everything in creative cloud files I can,t save (same notice as above picture) only file save as and overwrite work. Also there are lot files now conflicted files. Because i work in a team we have to work with ai files and not eps. Is there any other sollution. I tryed a lot and I'm really frustrated.

Hope someone can help me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did was to quit backup and sync from google, every time that message showed I quitted and it worked perfectly. Not sure if that can help you but that did it for me. Working at the same time in one file in different computers seems to make conflicted files, so try to avoid doing work at the same time maybe having a version control system for each co-worker can help you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everybody ,I try to fix all every step but still can't fix.

Could Anyone help me with it, Thankssss. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread, tell us your system and version and exactly where you save your files.

Also: are file and folder names only ASCII characters?

Do you have all the access privileges?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you using any anti virus without Windows defender? Just turn off that and try again. It was worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can't save the illustration, the file may be read-only, or the file is in use by another application, or you do not have the required permissions, please save the document with a different name, or in a different folder or directory. id:-54, this problem how to slove ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the complete thread? 

WHat did you try?

What is your system?

Which version of Illustrator?

Where did you save the file?

Any special characters in the filename?

WHat else did you already try from this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will happen when you previously saved a file in the creative cloud and been deleted or you logged in with different adobe account.

So the file you see on your computer it is not the actual file, the original file savwd on the cloud and you did not notice that when you saved the file.

so you have to ..

1- Make sure you are logged in to the same adobe account you saved the file in before.

2- Make sure the file is not deleted from the cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FOUND THE ANSWER!!!!  REMOVE ALL PERIODS FROM FILENAME!!!  That is what worked for me.  Done and done!  Uuugh, thank God!  Watch out for any "special characters".  For me it was the removal of the periods that finally did it.  Underscore and hyphen still work.  Best of luck to all! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Solution is to open your Antivirus program and check the blocked and allowed apps and make sure to place the illustrator.exe file in the allowed apps so that the Antivirus program doesn't automatically stop it from making changes to your files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used this tool and fixed the error of the illustrator.

Download this tool restoro.
install and start the scan, you will redirect to their site and get a free license for 24 hours,
use the license key and activate the software and continue scanning. after the scanning finds illustrator in software issues and fixe it. you are done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work waste of time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you having the same issues as the original post (from 2018) or just a problem with Restoro? And why are you using that? To solve what? VIBRAND DIGITAL SOLUTIONS is a one off poster, probably the dude works for Restoro, which cannot "fixe" illustrator software issues... Start a new post and let's see if we can help you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will happen when you previously saved a file in the creative cloud and been deleted or you logged in with different adobe account. the file data will show 0KB because it is saved in the cloud not on your local HD. When you try to open the file the link to the cloud is not working. also will not sync if you are using different adobe account. so you have to ..

1- Make sure you are logged in to the same adobe account you saved the file in before.

2- Make sure the file is not deleted from the cloud.

as you can see from the attached screenshot .. 0KB the file is not actually saved to the local desk, it is on the clud and i logged in with different adobe account or the file is deleted... hope this helps to understand the cause.. Adobe should view different error message that makes people understand what is wrong .. not all people are tech or understand how adobe backend works !!!

Screenshot 2023-04-28 092733.pngScreenshot 2023-04-28 092946.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have the preview pane turned on in Windows, turn it off.  Windows treats the preview as if it is an open application.  The file that you are trying to save is still selected in the window where you opened it from.  If you go back to that window and deselect that file, it should save.  That's what I normally do, because I like the preview pane.  I wish there was a way to change this behavior, but I haven't found another solution to it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines