• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot select rotation center point

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI CC 2014 Mac. I can no longer select the rotation center in the Rotate tool on an object that allowed it before. When I click the point with Alt-click I get an annoying error sound and the rotation is around the bounding box center instead. This happens with either Selection Tool or Direct Selection Tool. My entire project depends on being able to choose the rotation center so I can't go on until this is solved. Why would this happen and how can I fix this problem? Note that I successfully rotated the object around the center before I saved and quit AI.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.05.59 PM_CR.gifScreen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.05.40 PM_CR.gif

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

OK, I finally found out what was wrong. I was selecting Transform->Rotate… from the Object menu or the context menu, which only performs the rotation. It doesn't allow origin selection. I first have to select the Rotate Tool from the toolbar or simply 'R' and then Alt-clicking the crosshairs on the desired origin works. It automatically brings up the Rotate dialog which honors the selected origin. Why isn't this important yet unintuitive two-step sequence documented? Why aren't these two steps c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salut!

Je ne vois pas d'explication à ton problème, je te propose une solution de rechange...

Les objets soumis à rotation doivent êtres groupés.

Si ton dessin est précis, je suppose que oui ?

renél80416020_0-1597221756143.png

sélectionne le groupe et lance le script qui suit:

obj1 = activeDocument.selection[0];
      for (var i = 1; i <= 6; i++) {
      dupObjet = obj1.duplicate(activeDocument,ElementPlacement.PLACEATEND);
      dupObjet.rotate(60*i,undefined,undefined,undefined,undefined,Transformation.TOP);
      }

De ellere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci beaucoup Ellere! You can see in my images that the object is selected and it is a group already. I want this to work in the GUI first, then I will write a script (Applescript). I will try your script as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I tried your script and it worked, but I still want it to work in the GUI.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 6.13.03 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps other applications are interfering with the modifier keys. This can be some keyboard typing enhancers, or apps like browsers, e-mail, screensharing, whatever.

Try and shutdown everything and launch only Illustrator.

And BTW: when was your last computer reboot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any apps that could interfere with modifier keys in another app. I plan to reboot as a last resort but I don't think that will work. It was working fine the day before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebooting did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I finally found out what was wrong. I was selecting Transform->Rotate… from the Object menu or the context menu, which only performs the rotation. It doesn't allow origin selection. I first have to select the Rotate Tool from the toolbar or simply 'R' and then Alt-clicking the crosshairs on the desired origin works. It automatically brings up the Rotate dialog which honors the selected origin. Why isn't this important yet unintuitive two-step sequence documented? Why aren't these two steps combined into one step anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The procedure is documented in the documentation: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/rotating-reflecting-objects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, OK. Good. The key is to select the Rotate Tool and not the Transform->Rotate… menu item. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 10.30.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines