• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Guides disappear when I drag them across the page...

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I can see the guides when I drag them from the ruler (both horizontally & vertically) and I can see where I am going to place them and then when I let go of the mouse iIcan see them on the screen. Perfectly normal.

But as soon as I hold down on the mouse to move the guides to a different location (that have already been placed on the page) they dispppear. Then they reappear when I let go of the mouse and the have been placed in a new position. I hope this makes sence.  

I am using the GPU setting, I prefer the animated zoom. But when I switch to the CPU setting the guide problem doesn't happen but of course the animated zoon no longer is on.

Has anyone else had this problem? It may be a glitch, I don't know what is going on, because this never happened before the new update (Illustrator 24.2.1)

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

You are seeing a real time preview of a guide moving.

Because a guide has no fill or stroke, the preview shows nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

In order to get the moving guides visible while GPU preview and real time drawing are turned on, you can also put all guides onto a separate layer and set this layer to outline mode (Cmd-click on the eye in the Layers palette).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are seeing a real time preview of a guide moving.

Because a guide has no fill or stroke, the preview shows nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot on! Thank you very much for your help. I managed to find the real time setting in prefrences and turn it off, the guides now show when I drag them. Cheers! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped, but when you switch it off in Preferences you will miss the beauty of real time preview for all other objects.

You can also temporarely switch it of by going between GPU and CPU preview (Cmd-E/Ctrl-E).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to get the moving guides visible while GPU preview and real time drawing are turned on, you can also put all guides onto a separate layer and set this layer to outline mode (Cmd-click on the eye in the Layers palette).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, good shout! Thank you for rhe tip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius suggestions for a mini-annoyance that has been plaguing me for months now. Many thanks to Kurt Gold @kura and @Ton Frederiks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running AI 2021 (25.2.1) on a 2020 Mac Mini w/ 16 Gigs of Ram. I recently reported some slow peformance issues, besides other issues.......this appears to have beeen fixed by upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur. 

Please confirm that 16 Gigs of RAM is enough to run AI 2021 smoothly. Only other app that MIGHT be open at the same time is PS 2021, mostly idle.

The one remaining issue that seems to hang on is that when I grab a guide (or pull one from either side of the art board, SOMETIMES, said guide disappears, reappearing when I release the guide from the curser. This happens approx. 30% of the time..........no idea what to try to cure this hiccup.

Thanks, all!!!

Steve

I did follow suggested things to check......no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines