New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't save files in .ai format in Illustrator after update to version 2020

Any solution for that?

{Renamed by MOD}

Correct answer by rama3 | Adobe Employee

This issue is caused due to one of the PDF preset using custom Flattener preset. Users who run into this issue can try the following and update us in the comment

If you do not use custom Adobe PDF presets/joboptions or not heard of it then follow the below steps

1. Navigate to user presets folder
    Win: %appdata%\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Settings
  2. Rename the folder to “Settings old” and create a new empty folder “Settings” in the same place
  3. Launch Illustrator and check if you can save the document

If you use custom Adobe PDF presets then follow below steps

1. Go to Edit > Adobe PDF Presets
  2. Check PDF compatibility of PDF presets that are not default
  3. Make a note of presets that use PDF compatibility version 1.3
  4. Quit Illustrator
  5. Navigate to user presets folder
    Win: %appdata%\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Settings
  6. Move the presets identified in step 3 out of this folder
  7. Launch Illustrator and check if you can save the document

This issue is fixed in beta build and details are availabe here https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-v-24-generic-error-while-saving-files-disappear

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We'll be happy to help. would you mind sharing some more details like:

1. Version of OS.

2. Is it happening with just 1 file or with every file?

3. What are the save options you are selecting while trying to save? (Screenshots or a small video of steps you are following would help, you may attach them with your post.)

This information will help us understand issue better.

Also, I'd recommend you to try resetting the preferences once using the steps below:

For MAC 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings. 

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Ive just upgraded and have the exact same issue. 

Ive tried resetting all preferences but it does help?

Any other solutions that I can try?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing prefs not working. Any solution? Any... Idea? Guys, it's not a game. It's a tool! Some people require AI file, so I can't send them pdf ( yes, we can save other formats)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand where you all are getting prefs from!

Where do I find 'locations' (in your step #1 for Mac)?

I seriously have no clue where to find any of this stuff. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It refers to the locations mentioned in that list.

Please read the system documentation on how to access the user folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the details. Could you please confirm which OS system you are working on?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 10 x64

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Win 10 x64"

Where do you save your files? If not locally, try that first.

Is there a printer attached, set up as default printer and turned on? If not, do that. And yes, Windows as well as Illustrator ruin this setup with every update. So just in case you did that 2 weeks ago: do it again. And remember to turn that device on. Oh, and Illustrator doesn't like printer queues that much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lady. I updated Illustrator, not windows, not printer. Lets start with this? Privilages, where we save? No! Multiple devices, same problem after update of Illustrator... So... focus on Illustrator 24.0 maybe? At this point I see You have no idea what's going on, and that's OK to say. I will go back to previous version. Will wait for fix. Illustrator fix, not windows fix and no printer fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just try it out? You don't risk anything by setting the printer. Illustrator has issues when it can't find a printer. And yes, this gets ruined by every Illustrator update you might have done.

Maybe you have an issue with women answering you. Just so you know: the printer is a returning issue in this forum. And yes, most people don't believe me when I tell them. Until they try.

Did I mention privileges to you?

If you want an Adobe employee (I'm not an employee) to login to your system to fix this: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know printer is common issue - this was my first idea. By saying "you" I meant Adobe, not you personaly, and not you being a woman.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... if you save file first in pdf ( whatever file) later you can work and save all files/projects in AI format without any problems. (I'm saving on local drive) Until next Illustrator run...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, im working on Mac OS 10.15

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yes, im working on Mac OS 10.15"

Have you set all the user privileges correctly? Did you allow Illustrator to write to your disk? Your new Mac OS has a completely different management of access privileges. Did you read the documentation?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. My files disappear from my hard drive after the error message. I'm on MacOS 10.14.6, working on my NAS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm on MacOS 10.14.6, working on my NAS"

Does it work when you save and open your files locally from your harddsik? Illustrator has issues with servers, networks and watched and synchronized folders of any kind.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems it works on my local drive. With previous versions of illustrator we could save with no issues on our local NAS. This is a big issue, we are a graphic company, not freelancers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report bugs to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

The forum is 95% not Adobe staff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get a solution to this guys? Still getting this issue on Illustrator 24.0.3. Doing my head in now as I can't just 'command - s'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo

I just today installed Illustrator 24.0 on my iMac 5K 2017 on latest Mojave update, in English.

When I try to save in the new Illustrator 24.0 I get "an unknown error has occured", and I cannot save. I still have 23.1.1 installed, and there are no problems in that version.

I have tried to trash preferences, and I have tried to uninstall and reinstall, but no luck. I have another iMac, with Catalina though, and there are no problems with 24.0

Thanks for any input.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please check your printer settings? Illustrator needs to find a printer when saving.

Also: where do you save your files? If not on the local drive, please try that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika

I do not think this is the issue - ver. 23.1.1 works fine and I have several printers installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've got the same issue.... ;-(

I can't save in native "ai"...

Impatient to find the solution !!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a customer service agent connect to my iMac, and they confirmed the issue. They collected log files from my computer, and will report it. A fix should be available soon according to them.

A workaround for me is using the 23.1.1 or in 24.0 to first save as PDF and then in AI - that works too for me.

Hope for a patch soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for that answer. I look forward to the next update.
I also had problems recording (drag & drop) items in my library (always with Illustrator).

Wait ... And see ... 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hello, I've got the same issue.... ;-("

Which system is this?

What exactly happens? You do File > Save as and then?

Is a printer connected, set up and turned on? Yes, Illustrator needs a printer.

Where do you save files? If not on local disk, please try that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've just downloaded the new Illustrator 24 and now I get the above error message whenever I try to save a file as .ai. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system is it?

Where do you save? If not on the local harddisk, try that

Is a printer connected, set up as the default printer and turned on? If not, try that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

I spoke to an Adobe tech last night who informed me there is an issue with the program running on Mojave 10.14.6. A fix is being worked on and a patch will be released soon hopefully. Aparently it works fine on Catalina 10.15.1.

A short term workaround on 10.14.6 is to save the file as a .PDF first then resave it as .AI which seems to work.

Best wishes

Tim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I've just downloaded Catalina 10.15.1 and I'm having exactly the same problem so there is clearly an issue with this new version of Illustrator (24). I get the following error message when trying to save a .AI file: An unknown error has occurred. This needs fixing asap.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Mac OS 10.14.6 and I don't have any issues saving a file. So there must be something else.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can save .EPS files ok. The problem occurrs when trying to save .AI format. All my colleagues have the same issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Add a group