• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lagging when zooming and dragging screen

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last couple weeks Illustrator has been lagging alot when I try and zoom in/out as well as when move around the document. At first I thought it was because of the complexity of my files but it does the same thing and brand new empty documents. 
Ive tried all the advice lised on adobe's Improve Illustrator performance on macOS page. And nothings helpec.
The rest of my CC applications work just fine. 
I don't think it has anything to do with my computer. It's a brand new mac book pro with 32 GB of RAM.

Any ideas? 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & Illustrator?

I'd request disabling GPU Performance under Preferences > Performance & see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & Illustrator?

I'd request disabling GPU Performance under Preferences > Performance & see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggleing to use GPU preformace worked! Thanks a million!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggleing to use CPU helped on my machine. Also, turning off rulers ( ctrl + R ) when not  in use.

Problems were only with files that had transparencies a lot of small scattered elements and effects. Artboard sizes 120 x 120 inches and more.

Brand new PC 2024:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-14700K  5.5 GHz
GPU - Zotac Nvidia RTX 3060ti 
MSI Z790-P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Halyna334328082aqy,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://adobe.ly/3Hilhjx) and checking if they help? Also, try performing a clean reinstallation of the GPU drivers (Intel / NVIDIA / AMD) and setting the Graphics Preference to High-Performance for Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/3RVMCgu) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me, I tried to disable the GPU Performance but that didn't do anything. Zooming in Photoshop is super smooth but in Illustrator its laggy/choppy.

Illustrator version 26.0.1

MacOS Monterrey 12.0.1

MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) with 32 GB of memory

Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem. It seems like when the rulers are active the zooming has lag. Deactivating rulers "Ctrl + R" made zooming and panning work smoothly again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update.

Seems like it wasn't the rulers after all. It does have to do with GPU performance. I've deselected it and restarted illustrator.

I still had the zoom lag problems. I've activated GPU performance again and there was no more lag on zoom and pan. I can only assume it's a GPU incompatibility or something similar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having zoom lag issues. I have enabled GPU performance again and it still lags MBP 16 " 16gb ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

Another thing I've noticed on my side is that I had lag in heavy illustrator documents (with lots of embedded photos). 

What happens is that the Illustrator automatically switches from GPU preview (which is smooth) to CPU preview, which comes with lag. See attached where "GPU/CPU preview" shows in illustrator. If you have lag and it says "CPU preview" in the name tab of the file, than that's the issue.

The thing is that I couldn't fix this. If the document's heavy in size, the preview will automatically switch from GPU to CPU and the lag will happen. Restarting Illustrator fixes the issue for a few minutes, but then it switches back. 

This happened to me on a PC, with Windows 10, 32 GB of RAM, a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE ITX 4GB GDDR5 256-bit graphic card, and an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz CPU. 

Since then I've switched to a Mac Mini M1, 16 GB RAM and I didn't had this problem anymore.

I assume the issue has to do something with the GPU. 

Cheers,

Ionut P. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have major lag. Running i9-12900k, 64gb DDR5, 2gb NVME in RAID 0, RTX 3090. Same document runs smooth on another computer with 16gb ram DDR4, I5-9600, GTX 1080ti, Single 512gb NVME. Super frustrating that the much faster machine has these problems. Also tried disabling GPU and it's only slightly better. The more slow machine still out performs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that the problem has to do with running or opening photoshop after/while illustrator is running. 

SOLUTION:

- Close Photoshop, Close illustrator and restart Illustrator without photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @c8i,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind performing a clean reinstallation of the GPU drivers (Intel / NVIDIA / AMD) and setting the Graphics Preference to High-Performance for Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/42OVdGQ) and checking if it helps? Also, try running Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I am having the same problem of lagging but with moving objects. I have tried to disable and re-enable the GPU Performance, but it has not helped. All my other adobe programs are running smoothly. I am on MacOS Monterey with a brand new macbook pro with m1 chip (2021) - everything else is functioning well and quickly.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue since 2 months and I've tried everything but nothing helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with laggy panning and zooming running the fastest M2 Max available.

Figma runs like lightening in comparision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kevinco @Marian2794163600kc,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing laggy panning and zooming in Illustrator despite using the fastest M2 Max MacBook Pro. I understand how frustrating that can be.

One thing you can check is whether your GPU performance is properly set up and if you have enabled: GPU performance, animated zoom & Real-Time Drawing, and Editing. Additionally, ensure you're working in GPU preview mode, which can significantly improve performance. In CPU preview, overprint, and pixel preview, lag & panning will not be smooth as GPU preview, trim view & Outline with GPU preview.

It's worth noting that Illustrator is actively working to enhance the pan, zoom, and scroll functionality, and the next update (v27.3)  will bring some improvements that could help with your issue.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anshul,

Look, I get that you probably are "sorry that we're having troubles" but nothing you have responded with has resulted in any form of a solution for all of the above people. Rather these people are taking there time when they would rather be working on billable work and not issues with software they are paying for that shouldn't have endless bugs to deal with in the first place. 

So is there any solution that works for the lag when zooming in and out that we can all benifit from right now or not? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a different solution since you last posted 3 days ago? I notice this thread is years old. I just started having this problem today even with brand new empty files. Never was the case before and suddenly it's doing it. Tried all the solutions above and nothing worked. Very frustrating. I'm having a new problem everyday with Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @jdeyoung01 @kokoujt54,

Thank you for highlighting the issue you are experiencing with Illustrator lagging while zooming and dragging the screen. We understand how frustrating this can be and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.

To better assist you, would you mind sharing a screen recording demonstrating the issue you are facing and, if applicable, the specific file you are working on when the lag occurs? This will help us further investigate the issue and provide you with a more accurate solution.

Also, please confirm the OS & Illustrator version and share your system details like CPU & GPU make and model.

Rest assured that we are committed to resolving this issue and ensuring that your experience with Illustrator is smooth and efficient. Please feel free to provide any additional information or ask any questions, and we will do our best to assist you.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you please look at my answer I posted a screen recording of the lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Marian2794163600kc,

I apologize for the inconvenience you're experiencing with Illustrator lagging while zooming and dragging the screen. Thank you for sharing a screen recording of the issue. Based on the recording, it appears that you are working in Outline or CPU preview mode, which can result in lag and performance issues in Illustrator.

I would recommend working in GPU preview mode, as this can significantly improve performance in terms of pan, zoom, and scroll functionality. GPU performance, animated zoom & Real-Time Drawing, and Editing should be enabled in your Illustrator settings all the time.

Please try working in GPU preview mode and see if the same behavior persists. If you continue to face the issue, please provide your OS, Illustrator version, and system details, such as CPU, and GPU make and model.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Attached recording is with GPU preview on and contantly doing Alt+scroll wheel. Feels like it stutters consistently after every three scroll wheel inputs. Same happens with panning with scroll whell. With Ctrl+ -/+ to zoom in/out is fine and responsive. With CPU preview and scroll wheel it is slow but does not stutter. 5700X + 3060 12GB on Windows 10 here.

This problem is making this app basically unusable for me, and with this thread being here for so long without a solution I might as well just switch to Affinity Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines