Highlighted

Mistaken use of Control-Y (CTRL-Y) to Redo

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently thought that I lost hours of work (in Adobe Illustrator) when I accidentally used control-Y (CTRL-Y) to redo something after I used control-Z (CTRL-Z) to undo a change. When I used control-Y, a white background with only fine outlines of my work remained. After trying to use control-Z (to undo my mistaken use of control-Y), and finding that it did absolutely nothing to resolve the problem, I began to experiment with the remnants of the work.

I selected the entire image (which was only fine lines), used control-C (to copy the selection), then opened a new document and pasted the contents using control-V. Like magic, all of my work was on the new document - details, colors, everything! I can only theorize that the original work was not really lost, only hidden in a way that I was unable to recover on the original document.

Wondering if anyone else has a solution for the mistaken use of control-Y in an Adobe Illustrator document.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Larry G. Schneider | Adobe Community Professional

Cmd(Ctrl)-Y is the keyboard toggle for Outline View. If you had used the same combination again in your original file the view of everything would have returned (as you found when you moved it to a new file with Preview active).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mistaken use of Control-Y (CTRL-Y) to Redo

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently thought that I lost hours of work (in Adobe Illustrator) when I accidentally used control-Y (CTRL-Y) to redo something after I used control-Z (CTRL-Z) to undo a change. When I used control-Y, a white background with only fine outlines of my work remained. After trying to use control-Z (to undo my mistaken use of control-Y), and finding that it did absolutely nothing to resolve the problem, I began to experiment with the remnants of the work.

I selected the entire image (which was only fine lines), used control-C (to copy the selection), then opened a new document and pasted the contents using control-V. Like magic, all of my work was on the new document - details, colors, everything! I can only theorize that the original work was not really lost, only hidden in a way that I was unable to recover on the original document.

Wondering if anyone else has a solution for the mistaken use of control-Y in an Adobe Illustrator document.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Larry G. Schneider | Adobe Community Professional

Cmd(Ctrl)-Y is the keyboard toggle for Outline View. If you had used the same combination again in your original file the view of everything would have returned (as you found when you moved it to a new file with Preview active).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 10, 2016 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2016 1
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOOOOOOOOOD. Ctrl. for. the. win.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iam new to Adobe as a whole so what is outline view

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 22, 2018 0
Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

outline view hides appearances and shows just the paths that exist in your document (or layer).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2018 3
Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Doug has said it hides the appearances. If you have used AI long enough you will recognize it as the original working mode for AI.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2018 0
May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl Y is the shortcut for View > Outline (and back to Preview)

Ctrl Sh Z is Edit > Redo.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2016 1
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Ctrl+Y key not work properly. Pl. share another option.

Thanks & Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2018 0
Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vandanp21805972  schrieb

My Ctrl+Y key not work properly.

"Not work properly" means exactly what?

Doesn't work at all?

Does something different?

You're on a PC?

You know what it should do? Or did someone just tell you to press this?

You can always go to Edit > Shortcuts and assign to it whatever you want.

Also: when was your last restart (of the computer)?

And maybe the preferences need a reset.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2018 0
May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds silly, but the only real solution is to learn how to use Adobe Illustrator.

Viewing modes | Adobe Illustrator CC tutorials

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2016 3
Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keyboard shortcuts work whether or not you like them and whether or not it was your intention to use them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hold control and press the eye on each layer and everything will show again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2018 1
New Here ,
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 2018 this toggles the Proof Colors option. To untoggle the options, go to the View Menu in the top toolbar and click Proof Colors to uncheck it if it's already checked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2019 0
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

malcolms97644040  schrieb

In Photoshop 2018 this toggles the Proof Colors option.

But this is the Illustrator forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2019 0
Resources