Highlighted

Pathfinder (minus front) not working

New Here ,
May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I want to create 7 equal segment of a circle. I used the polar grid tool to find how to split those segments, then superimposed it on a circle I created previously.

Now I want to substract the 7 lines from the circle by using pathfinder tool. I ungrouped the lines, selected both objects, then clicked on minus front, but what happened at that point is that only the 7 lines dissapear from the drawing without substracting from the circle (see image below):

then when i click on minus front

also when i tried to apply other filter such as interesect  a window pops up and says: the filter produced no results. Please select two overlapping paths.

Can someone help? Thanks

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxel_schubser | Most Valuable Participant

Hi cxteamnz​,

there are several ways to go.

With your drawing: It seems to be only stroked paths. Pathfinder 'only' works with filled paths. Use Menu: Object --> Expand to create filled paths from your stroked paths.

After then you can use the pathfinder.

Have fun

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pathfinder (minus front) not working

New Here ,
May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I want to create 7 equal segment of a circle. I used the polar grid tool to find how to split those segments, then superimposed it on a circle I created previously.

Now I want to substract the 7 lines from the circle by using pathfinder tool. I ungrouped the lines, selected both objects, then clicked on minus front, but what happened at that point is that only the 7 lines dissapear from the drawing without substracting from the circle (see image below):

then when i click on minus front

also when i tried to apply other filter such as interesect  a window pops up and says: the filter produced no results. Please select two overlapping paths.

Can someone help? Thanks

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxel_schubser | Most Valuable Participant

Hi cxteamnz​,

With your drawing: It seems to be only stroked paths. Pathfinder 'only' works with filled paths. Use Menu: Object --> Expand to create filled paths from your stroked paths.

Have fun

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cxteamnz​,

Have fun

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pixxxel schubser ! It worked! thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to outline the stroke. Pathfinder do not work on the the Stroke. Object: Path: Outline Stroke.

Chana

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
lyzolari LATEST
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same problem and this solved it... Thanks !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines